Tangential and radial acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a swinging triangle with attached masses and a pivot, and a question about the accelerations of the masses just after being released. The solution mentions that there is no radial acceleration due to the fixed lengths of the triangle, but the problem is still treated as having a tangential acceleration. The concept is clarified with an example of a book lying on a table and the suggestion to treat the object as a physical pendulum.
magnas
Hi,
I am reviewing a problem with the associated solution and there is something i don t understand.
Imagine a triangle with vertices l, masses m are attached to the two end of the vertices and on the top end vertice there is a pivot so that the triangle can swing. We start with the triangle at rest and one of the rod is vertical.
Question: what is the accelerations of the masses (the two following words are in italics) just after it is released?
What i don t understand is the following:
"since v=0 at the start , the radial accelerations are zero"(quote from the solution). And then, the problem is treated as there is no radial acceleration at all, while considering a tangential acceleration. How can we consider a tangential acceleration without a radial/centripetal acceleration?
If this is possible, could you explain me and clarify with an example?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
magnas said:
Hi,
I am reviewing a problem with the associated solution and there is something i don t understand.
Imagine a triangle with vertices l, masses m are attached to the two end of the vertices and on the top end vertice there is a pivot so that the triangle can swing. We start with the triangle at rest and one of the rod is vertical.
Question: what is the accelerations of the masses (the two following words are in italics) just after it is released?
What i don t understand is the following:
"since v=0 at the start , the radial accelerations are zero"(quote from the solution). And then, the problem is treated as there is no radial acceleration at all, while considering a tangential acceleration. How can we consider a tangential acceleration without a radial/centripetal acceleration?
If this is possible, could you explain me and clarify with an example?
Thank you.

So you have something that looks like this?
attachment.php?attachmentid=53984&stc=1&d=1355690605.gif

If the 'rods' forming the triangle are of fixed length, then the masses are constrained to follow the circular arc indicated, and there's no change in length of r possible. So no radial acceleration. This is not to say that centripetal forces will not happen, just that they cannot make the masses accelerate due to the fixed lengths of the triangle.

It's like a book lying on a table; There's a gravitational force acting on it, and g is still in business, but still the book does not move downwards.

You might consider treating the object as a physical pendulum and determine its angular acceleration first.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 539

Related to Tangential and radial acceleration

1. What is the difference between tangential and radial acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the change in speed of an object moving along a curved path, while radial acceleration is the change in direction of the velocity vector.

2. How are tangential and radial acceleration related to each other?

Tangential and radial acceleration are both components of the total acceleration of an object moving along a curved path. Together, they determine the magnitude and direction of the object's total acceleration.

3. How can tangential and radial acceleration be calculated?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated using the formula at = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval. Radial acceleration can be calculated using the formula ar = v^2 / r, where v is the velocity and r is the radius of the curve.

4. What are some real-world examples of tangential and radial acceleration?

Examples of tangential acceleration include a car speeding up or slowing down while driving along a curved road, or a roller coaster accelerating as it moves through a loop. Examples of radial acceleration include a satellite orbiting around a planet, or a ball spinning on a string.

5. How do tangential and radial acceleration affect the motion of an object?

Tangential acceleration affects the speed of an object, while radial acceleration affects the direction of the object's velocity. These components of acceleration work together to determine the overall motion of an object moving along a curved path.