Tank concentration-of-chlorine problem (Dif. Eq.)

• Thread starter StrappingYL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tank
In summary, the problem involves a tank with a capacity of 400 L filled with a mixture of water and chlorine. The chlorine concentration of 0.05 g/L needs to be reduced by pumping in fresh water at a rate of 4 L/s and keeping the mixture stirred and pumped out at a rate of 10 L/s. The concentration of chlorine in the tank after 15 seconds is still unknown and the problem involves setting up a differential equation to find it.
StrappingYL

Homework Statement

A tank with a capacity of 400 L is full of a mixture of water and chlorine with a concentration of 0.05 g of chlorine/liter. The chlorine concentration is to be reduced by pumping in fresh water at the rate of 4 liters/second. The mixture is kept stirred and pumped out a rate of 10 liters/second. What is the concentration of the chlorine in the tank 15 seconds later?

The Attempt at a Solution

Set x = the amount of chlorine in the main tank.

Well there isn't any chlorine entering the main tank, so the mixture going in would be 4, and the amount going out would be 4*(x / 400). So my setup is:

(dy/dt) = 4 - 4*(x / 400)

And I don't really know where to go from there. I don't even know if my setup is correct. I'm still trying to get the intuition of differential equations, lol.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That isn't a very good start. You haven't even said what 'y' is supposed to be. Here's a hint. Let V be the volume of solution contained in the tank. Can you express V as a function of t? Now can you express dx/dt in terms of V and x?

Dick said:
That isn't a very good start. You haven't even said what 'y' is supposed to be. Here's a hint. Let V be the volume of solution contained in the tank. Can you express V as a function of t? Now can you express dx/dt in terms of V and x?

I'm sorry, I meant:

dx/dt = 4 - 4*(x / 400)

Sorry for my mistake. For my volume function:

V(t) = 400x + 4 - 10t(x / 400)
dV/dt = 4 - x / 100

Am I on the right track?

EDIT: And x = 5 / 100 when t = 0, correct?

StrappingYL said:
I'm sorry, I meant:

dx/dt = 4 - 4*(x / 400)

Sorry for my mistake. For my volume function:

V(t) = 400x + 4 - 10t(x / 400)
dV/dt = 4 - x / 100

Am I on the right track?

Mmm. Not really. I think you can express V(t) without any reference to x. Can't you? Just concentrate on that for now.

V(t) = 0.05 - (0.05 / 400)*6*t ?

I'm sorry, I'm still trying to get the intuition of differential equations. I know the result will pretty much always be a function, but it's difficult for me to comprehend what a differential is equal to. I know an equation contains two of the same quantities, but an equation of differentials is outside my usual scope of comprehension. So I don't really know how to set it up. My professor is at a science convention in D.C. for a few days and I'm really trying to learn these without his guidance, lol. I hope this forum's denizens are the patient types :)

EDIT: 6 not 10 because of the 4 liters going in, right?

Last edited:
I'm patient. But I don't stay up all night either. Look V(0)=400 L, right? And then, yes, V(t) goes down by 6 L per second. I think you are overcomplicating this. Tell me quick. What's V(t)?

I'm sorry, nevermind I never figured it out. Thank you for your help.

Related to Tank concentration-of-chlorine problem (Dif. Eq.)

1. What is the "Tank concentration-of-chlorine problem"?

The "Tank concentration-of-chlorine problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the concentration of chlorine in a tank over time. It is typically represented as a differential equation and is used to model the behavior of chemical reactions in a closed system.

2. How is the "Tank concentration-of-chlorine problem" solved?

The "Tank concentration-of-chlorine problem" is typically solved using techniques from differential equations, such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. These methods help to find the general solution to the problem, which can then be used to solve for specific initial conditions.

3. What are the key factors that affect the concentration of chlorine in the tank?

The concentration of chlorine in the tank is affected by several factors, including the initial amount of chlorine, the rate at which chlorine is added or removed from the tank, and the size and shape of the tank. These factors can be represented by different parameters in the differential equation.

4. Can the "Tank concentration-of-chlorine problem" be applied to other chemicals or substances?

Yes, the "Tank concentration-of-chlorine problem" can be applied to other chemicals or substances as long as the system follows similar principles of chemical reactions and closed systems. The specific parameters and initial conditions may vary, but the general approach to solving the problem remains the same.

5. How is the "Tank concentration-of-chlorine problem" used in real-world applications?

The "Tank concentration-of-chlorine problem" has many real-world applications, such as in water treatment plants, where it is used to monitor and control the concentration of chlorine in water tanks. It is also used in industries that involve chemical reactions in closed systems, such as in pharmaceutical manufacturing or food processing.