Taylor polynomial of degree 1 - solve for theta

In summary: You forgot the b in the denominator. Besides that, everything else seems correct.In summary, the conversation discussed solving an equation with a function θ(b) and finding the Taylor polynomial of degree one for θ(b) near b=0. The steps included replacing b with x and writing the general form of the Taylor series, taking the derivative with respect to b and plugging in values to find a value of -3, and using this value in the general form to find θ(b) = -3b. However, there was a small error in the derivative calculation that was corrected.
oates151

Homework Statement

I was given the following problem, but I am having a hard time interpreting what some parts mean.

We're given the equation

sinθ+b(1+cos^2(θ)+cos(θ))=0

Assume that this equation defines θ as a function, θ(b), of b near (0,0). Computer the Taylor polynomial of degree one for θ(b) near b=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure exactly what they mean by θ(b).

Physics news on Phys.org
oates151 said:

Homework Statement

I was given the following problem, but I am having a hard time interpreting what some parts mean.

We're given the equation

Assume that this equation defines θ as a function, θ(b), of b near (0,0). Computer the Taylor polynomial of degree one for θ(b) near b=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure exactly what they mean by θ(b).

Replace b by x for a moment so you are thinking of ##\theta## as a function of x, say f(x). Can you write the Taylor series for a function f(x) near x = 0? Do that first. Then replace ##f## by ##\theta## and ##x## by ##b##. There will be a couple of things you will need to calculate from your equation.

So I took the derivative with respect to b and got

dθ/db= (1+cos^2(θ)+cos(θ))/(2bcos(θ)sin(θ)+sin(θ)-cos(θ))

knowing the general form of the taylor series, I used the value of dθ/db at b=0 with θ=0 to get a value of -3 and plugged it into the tayor series general form

θ(b)=θ(0)+(-3)(b) to get θ(b)=-3b, the same value I got when I took the taylor polynomial of this function and solved for θ in another step.

Is this right?

oates151 said:
So I took the derivative with respect to b and got

dθ/db= (1+cos^2(θ)+cos(θ))/(2bcos(θ)sin(θ)+sin(θ)-cos(θ))

knowing the general form of the taylor series, I used the value of dθ/db at b=0 with θ=0 to get a value of -3 and plugged it into the tayor series general form

θ(b)=θ(0)+(-3)(b) to get θ(b)=-3b, the same value I got when I took the taylor polynomial of this function and solved for θ in another step.

Is this right?
That looks right to me, but there is a small error in your θ'(b) .

θ'(b) = (1+cos^2(θ)+cos(θ))/(2bcos(θ)sin(θ)+bsin(θ)-cos(θ))

Related to Taylor polynomial of degree 1 - solve for theta

1. What is a Taylor polynomial of degree 1?

A Taylor polynomial of degree 1 is a type of mathematical function that approximates a given function using a linear equation. The equation is written in the form of f(x) = a0 + a1(x-c), where a0 and a1 are constants and c is the center of the approximation.

2. How is a Taylor polynomial of degree 1 calculated?

To calculate a Taylor polynomial of degree 1, the first derivative of the function at the center point (c) is evaluated and used as the coefficient for the linear term. The constant term is simply the value of the function at the center point (f(c)).

3. What is the purpose of solving for theta in a Taylor polynomial of degree 1?

Solving for theta in a Taylor polynomial of degree 1 allows us to find the value of x where the polynomial best approximates the given function. This value of theta is also known as the center point (c) of the polynomial.

4. Can a Taylor polynomial of degree 1 be used for any function?

Yes, a Taylor polynomial of degree 1 can be used to approximate any function. However, the accuracy of the approximation depends on the smoothness of the function and the chosen center point (c).

5. How does the accuracy of a Taylor polynomial of degree 1 compare to higher degree polynomials?

A Taylor polynomial of degree 1 is the simplest form of a Taylor polynomial and therefore has the lowest degree of accuracy. Higher degree polynomials, such as degree 2 or 3, can provide a better approximation for more complex functions. However, a degree 1 polynomial can still provide a good approximation for simpler functions.