Technical Drawing of Crank Mechanism

In summary, the conversation discusses the function and assembly of a crank mechanism and the accuracy of the parts list provided. The suggested parts include a base plate, support, flange, crankshaft, piston, connecting rod, flywheel, grub screw, crankpin, and pins. There is also a discussion about potential alternative names for some of the parts. The participant suggests waiting for other suggestions before finalizing the parts list.
chuckyy

Homework Statement

Hey, I have to do my homework in Technical Drawing where we have to describe the function and the assembly of any part. I have got a crank mechanism and I just want to know if I name all the parts correctly. I am not quite sure if everything is correct.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here my parts list:
1: base plate
2: support
3: flange
4: crankshaft
5: piston
6: connecting rod
7: flywheel
8: grub screw
9: crankpin
10: pin
11: pin
12: screw

These are my suggestions, but maybe they're wrong or imprecise. I hope you can help me if anything is wrong. Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• 20140105_165230.jpg
    20140105_165230.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,237
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Naming parts isn't a precise science but..

I'm not convinced that "piston" is the best description for 5. However I'm not sure what to suggest as an alternative. Perhaps something like "rocker pin mounting block"

I'm not convinced that this mechanism is intended for continuous high speed rotation so is 7 really a flywheel? Perhaps "Crank Wheel" is better?

I was taught that a screw was fully threaded where as a bolt may only be partly threaded. That would appear to make 12 a bolt rather than a screw. However many other sources say that it's only a bolt if it has a nut. Perhaps stick with screw.

Perhaps wait for other suggestions.

1. What is a crank mechanism?

A crank mechanism is a mechanical device that converts rotational motion into reciprocating motion. It consists of a crank, connecting rod, and a piston. It is commonly used in engines, pumps, and other machines.

2. What is the purpose of a crank mechanism?

The purpose of a crank mechanism is to convert rotational motion into reciprocating motion. This is useful in many applications where linear motion is needed, such as in engines, pumps, and compressors.

3. How does a crank mechanism work?

A crank mechanism works by using a crankshaft to convert the circular motion of the engine into a reciprocating motion of the piston. As the crankshaft rotates, it causes the connecting rod to move back and forth, which in turn moves the piston in and out of the cylinder.

4. What are the different types of crank mechanisms?

There are several types of crank mechanisms, including the single crank mechanism, double crank mechanism, and slider-crank mechanism. Each type has its own unique design and is used in different applications.

5. What factors should be considered when designing a crank mechanism?

When designing a crank mechanism, factors such as the desired motion, load requirements, and efficiency should be considered. The size and shape of the crank, connecting rod, and piston also play a crucial role in the design process.