Terminology for Doppler shifts

In summary, gravitational redshift is the shift of light due to the gravitational force. Cosmological redshift is the shift of light due to the expansion of space.
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Here are some different descriptions of Doppler shifts:

1. The gamma rays in the Pound-Rebka experiment were Doppler shifted.
2a. We make a cosmological model using coordinates in which an object moving with the Hubble flow has a zero coordinate velocity, so all galaxies are "at rest." An observer in galaxy A observes a red-shifted photon from cosmologically distant galaxy B.
2b. This is exactly the same physical situation as in 2a, but we pick coordinates in which A is at rest but B is in motion, and furthermore we decide to pick these coordinates such that the special-relativistic equation for the Doppler shift gives the observed result when we plug in the coordinate velocity attributed to B.

By general covariance, 2a and 2b are physically indistinguishable. The difference between them is purely verbal.

Everyone would describe 1 using the term "gravitational Doppler shift."

If we have to make the purely verbal distinction between 2a and 2b, probably most people would describe 2b as a "kinematic Doppler shift." Personally I'm in the habit of describing 2a as a "gravitational Doppler shift," but I think my usage may be nonstandard, and it does have the disadvantage that 2a, unlike 1, can't be computed from a gravitational potential, so in some sense the same word is being used to describe dissimilar phenomena.

Is there a better or more standard term for 2a? The only thing I can think of is something cumbersome like "Doppler shift due to the expansion of space."

-Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
How about "cosmological redshift"? Not a standard term afaik, but it is short and clear.

DaleSpam said:
How about "cosmological redshift"? Not a standard term afaik, but it is short and clear.

But wouldn't that cover both 2a and 2b? What if you want to distinguish 2a from 2b?

I would call 1 "gravitational redshift", 2a "Doppler shift", and 2b "cosmological redshift"

DaleSpam said:
I would call 1 "gravitational redshift", 2a "Doppler shift", and 2b "cosmological redshift"

Hmm...so to you, if someone says "cosmological redshift," it implies that they're *not* describing the distant galaxy as being in motion relative to us? It seems to me that most cosmologists actually have a tendency to refer casually to cosmological redshifts as if they were purely kinematical (although they surely know that GR doesn't allow such a distinction to be made in any absolute sense).

Well, I am certainly not a cosmologist, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Oops, I just noticed that I got 2a and 2b backwards in my previous reply.

In my mind "Doppler shift" implies motion (which of course is coordinate dependent). So 2b qualifies as "Doppler shift". But I wouldn't call 1 a Doppler shift in standard Schwarzschild coordinates, I would call it "gravitational redshift". And then 2a doesn't qualify as a Doppler shift either, but I would call it "cosmological redshift" to distinguish it from the static spacetime case of 1.

bcrowell said:
Hmm...so to you, if someone says "cosmological redshift," it implies that they're *not* describing the distant galaxy as being in motion relative to us? It seems to me that most cosmologists actually have a tendency to refer casually to cosmological redshifts as if they were purely kinematical (although they surely know that GR doesn't allow such a distinction to be made in any absolute sense).

I think you're right. It's kind of analogous to others talking casually about virtual particles, while not actually beleiving they exist.

I've always understood (1), (2) and (3) as DaleSpam mentioned.

If you're interested, Sean Carrol has a nice description of the difference between cosmological and Doppler shifts, in his GR book (in two different spots). It's not super sophisticated, but it's a nice and clear demonstration.

What is a Doppler shift?

A Doppler shift is the change in frequency of a wave caused by the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. This phenomenon is commonly observed in sound and light waves, and can be either an increase (known as a redshift) or a decrease (known as a blueshift) in frequency.

How is the Doppler shift used in science?

The Doppler shift has a variety of applications in science, such as in astronomy to determine the velocity and direction of celestial objects, in medicine for ultrasound imaging, and in weather forecasting to track the movement of storms. It is also used in everyday technology, such as radar and sonar.

What is the difference between the Doppler effect and the Doppler shift?

The terms "Doppler effect" and "Doppler shift" are often used interchangeably, but technically the Doppler effect refers to the perceived change in frequency of a wave due to the relative motion between the source and the observer, while the Doppler shift specifically refers to the actual change in frequency of the wave.

What factors affect the amount of Doppler shift observed?

The amount of Doppler shift observed depends on the velocity of the source and the observer, as well as the angle between their directions of motion. It also depends on the speed of the wave, which is constant for a given medium. In addition, the observer's distance from the source can also affect the perceived Doppler shift.

How is the Doppler shift related to the speed of the source and observer?

The amount of Doppler shift observed is directly proportional to the speed of the source and observer. This means that the faster the source and observer are moving relative to each other, the greater the change in frequency will be. The angle between their directions of motion can also affect the amount of Doppler shift observed.