Textbook recommendations for someone new to physics?

In summary, the student is concerned about taking a difficult physics class taught by an equally challenging professor. They are looking for recommendations on textbooks and have been advised to choose from Giancoli, Resnick and Halliday, Young, Serway, and Alonso and Finn. They have also been advised that Landau series or Feynman lecture notes may be helpful if they are good at math.
Jesxica
Here's the issue: I am a junior chemistry major and the time has come for me to take a physics class called "Physics for Scientists". I have never taken a physics class before and I hear from my peers that not only is this particular subject extremely difficult, but so is the ONLY PROFESSOR teaching it. I won't go into too much detail about that, but I'll just say this. His class average is a 45%. So naturally, I am extremely worried and would like to get a head start before the new semester rolls around in a few months. I tend to catch onto things rather quickly so I'm not really looking for a beginner's textbook per se.

Physics news on Phys.org
It will help if you provide more information. Any course description, outline or textbook recommendation?

any general physics textbook will do. You have the choice of Giancoli, Resnick and Halliday, Young, and Serway.

I would choose one of the above, as well as, getting a copy of Alonso and Finn: Fundamentals of University Physics Volume 1. Alonso is a harder than the books on the list. However, the knows how to tie the physics together. Don't worry if the problems in Alonso are too hard. The explanations of the physics is solid and will help you tackle problems in any of the above books.

if you're good at math, you know to read landau series. or feynman lecture notes can be a good choice.

LevLandau said:
if you're good at math, you know to read landau series. or feynman lecture notes can be a good choice.

Not for an introduction.

Likes Mondayman

1. What are the best textbooks for someone new to physics?

There are several great textbooks for beginners in physics, including "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, and "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Beiser. Ultimately, the best textbook may vary depending on individual learning styles and goals.

2. Are there any textbooks specifically for self-study in physics?

Yes, there are many textbooks designed for self-study in physics, such as "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett. These textbooks often have more detailed explanations and self-guided practice problems.

3. How do I know which physics textbook is right for me?

When choosing a physics textbook, consider your learning style, level of understanding, and specific interests within physics. It may also be helpful to read reviews and compare the content and approach of different textbooks.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement my textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video lectures, practice problems, and interactive simulations that can complement your textbook learning. Some recommended websites include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics.

5. Can I use an older edition of a textbook or do I need the latest edition?

In most cases, using an older edition of a textbook should be fine, as the fundamental principles of physics remain the same. However, it is important to check with your instructor to ensure that the content and problem sets are still relevant and align with the current course curriculum.