That Will Smith and Chris Rock thing

• Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rock
In summary, Smith's body language during the slap was convincing, but it's possible the slap was staged. Chris Rock's physical abilities were questioned and he was compared to Jussie Smollett.
Jarvis323 said:
You keep implying these things. If you don't mean them then clarify, because otherwise you are unintelligible.
I am not implying; you are inferring. Don't.

Likes Vanadium 50, russ_watters, phinds and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
I am not implying; you are inferring. Don't.
Then say something which has a clear meaning and is not filled with apparent implications.

• Skeptical
Likes BillTre
phinds said:
It's a lost cause, Dave. Give it up. He's just going to keep spouting the same nonsense over and over.
Don't you think that your interpretation of it as nonsense has something to do with confirmation bias. It's an uphill battle challenging the status quo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

• Skeptical
Likes BillTre
DaveC426913 said:
Yes. It must suck that she's losing her hair.
Sounds insincere to me.

• Skeptical
Likes BillTre
You are emotional about this, and you are argumentative; every post is an attempt to bait some reaction. Technically, that is called trolling.

It's all right to be emotional, and you do not need to defend your feelings...

..unless you bring them into a forum to have a discussion. Then you are expected to defend your case with logic.

You still have not answered how you feel about the crime of assault and battery. That's telling. Give some thought to that if you want to be taken seriously moving forward.

But I'm not taking this emotional bait anymore.

:signing off:

Likes russ_watters, Bystander and BillTre
DaveC426913 said:
You are emotional about this, and you are argumentative; every post is an attempt to bait some reaction. Technically, that is called trolling.

It's all right to be emotional, and you do not need to defend your feelings...

..unless you bring them into a forum to have a discussion. Then you are expected to defend your case with logic.

You still have not answered how you feel about the crime of assault and battery. That's telling. Give some thought to that if you want to be taken seriously moving forward.

But I'm not taking this emotional bait anymore.

:signing off:
For someone who was worried about how homeless people are referred to (people that experience homelessness vs homeless people) and got angry that people didn't immediately agree with you or that an organization couldn't be found that was committed to that cause, I'm surprised you don't show much concern for people being publically humiliated about their medical conditions. I honestly would have throught you'd be on my side on this and am left confused.

Jarvis323 said:
She was probably public about it because the tabloids were talking about it, and she wanted to end the madness and obsessive speculation about why she is bald. That doesn't mean she wanted it to be fodder for jokes at academy awards, and then see a resurgence of that.
Interesting Comment! and it makes me think of related things.

There were two people conversing at a social gathering: A balding man (male pattern baldness) and an old woman. The woman asked the man why he has all his hair shaved and not let it grow to normal length since he is so (relatively) young. The idea that the man finds and feels the long grown but thinning and missing hair on top of and slightly to the rear of top, seems too messy or unkept for this man, had not entered the old woman's mind; and it had to be explained to her.

Jarvis323 said:
If you can point that out it will be helpful.

I personally think most people are oversimplifying it, by viewing the situation without context, using their own experience instead. After a joke about your baldness at the Oscars, there will be a lot of media buzz. And as a result there will be a lot of people chasing you around with cameras wherever you go, trying to catch glimpses of your hair loss, and trying to ask you questions about your balding. That being something you had already been through for several years, which has likely left you already traumatized. Maybe some people are strong enough that for them those issues are no big deal. Or maybe wealth makes it less a problem, they can just hide on an island somewhere if they want to get away. But many people are sensitive to this, and it does affect their mental health significantly. "It's just a roast" and they "signed up for it and got paid" is the hyperbole in my view.

I'm not saying responding with physical violence is excusable. Just that it is worthwhile to take a deeper look and have some empathy.
No; I did not really mean to quote your message. I am not patient enough to continue reading from page "5" to page "7" (currently) on this forum topic because it is becoming tiring; although I did post something on the topic a few minutes ago referring to Male-Pattern Baldness and a Fashion Grooming choice.

This article is a good read if you want to understand how many women with alopecia feel.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/chris-rocks-alopecia-joke-was-my-worst-nightmare

In the context of a celebrity, it is a little different. Many women try to hide their baldness (read the article for in depth discussion why), but it is virtually impossible for a celebrity, because they are chased everywhere by paparazzi. I would think that would make the experience quite a bit more taxing.

Thread closed for Moderation...

After a Mentor discussion, the thread will stay closed. Thanks folks.