The baseball pitcher on an asteroid

In summary: KE at ground level. So you plug in the mass of the baseball, the acceleration due to gravity at 50 km (which you have to look up), and the height (50 km). C is the same as the others except that the two forces are equal and opposite, so you set them equal to each other and solve for r. In summary, the conversation discusses the task of finding the largest size spherical asteroid from which a baseball pitcher can throw a ball at a speed of 150 km/hr. The three parts (a), (b), and (c) of the task involve determining the asteroid's size for the ball to escape into heliocentric orbit, rise to a height of
buzz3

Homework Statement

A baseball pitcher can throw a fastball at a speed of 150 km/hr. What is the largest size spherical asteroid of density rho=3 g/cm^3 from which he can throw the ball fast enough that it:

(a) escapes from the asteroid into heliocentric orbit?
(b) rises to a height of 50 km?
(c) goes into a stable orbit about the asteroid?

Homework Equations

i think...
KE = 1/2mv^2 (kinetic energy)
PE = GmM/r (potential energy, gravitational)
Fc = mv^2/r (centrifugal force)
Fg = GmM/r^2 (gravitational force)

The Attempt at a Solution

v = 150 km/hr ~ 42 m/s
rho = 3 g/cm^3 = 3000 kg/m^3

M = rho*V
V = 4/3*pi*r^3

(a) make KE = PE and solve for r, which i get r = v*sqrt(3/8*pi*rho*G) = 32439 m

(b) not sure...

(c) make Fc = Fg and solve for r, which i get r = v*sqrt(23/4*pi*rho*G) = 45876 m

Did I do (a) and (c) correctly, and how should I approach (b)? Many thanks!

Likes joe kuo
Physics news on Phys.org
For part (b) you should use the equation PE=mgh (where m is the mass of the object, g is the gravitational force on the object, and h is the height of the object) You know what the initial kinetic energy is, and that at the peak of the throw; the potential energy will be equal to the the initial potential energy.
I'm afraid that I'm not sure about the other two though...

B uses pretty much the same method as the other two, you just need to find the PE of the baseball at 50 km

Related to The baseball pitcher on an asteroid

1. How can a baseball pitcher throw a pitch on an asteroid?

The pitcher on an asteroid would be able to throw a pitch in the same way they would on Earth. The lack of gravity on the asteroid would not affect the mechanics of throwing a pitch. However, the pitcher may need to adjust their aim and velocity due to the smaller size and lower gravity of the asteroid.

2. Would the pitch be affected by the lack of gravity on the asteroid?

Yes, the pitch would be affected by the lack of gravity on the asteroid. Since there is less gravity, the pitch would not have the same downward trajectory as it would on Earth. It would likely travel farther and with less force due to the lower gravitational pull.

3. How would the pitch change if the asteroid was rotating?

If the asteroid was rotating, the pitch would be affected by the Coriolis effect. This means that the pitch would appear to curve to the right or left depending on the direction of rotation. The amount of curve would also depend on the speed of the rotation.

4. Could a baseball game be played on an asteroid?

Technically, a baseball game could be played on an asteroid. However, the smaller size and lower gravity of the asteroid would make it difficult for players to run and catch the ball. The game would also need to be adjusted to account for the different physics on the asteroid.

5. How would the pitcher's arm strength be affected on an asteroid?

The pitcher's arm strength would likely be affected on an asteroid due to the lower gravity. They may need to use less force to throw the ball the same distance as they would on Earth. However, the smaller size of the asteroid may also cause the pitcher to need to throw with more force in order to reach home plate.