The fraction function on calculators

In summary, the fraction function on calculators allows for simplified input and conversion of fractions, as well as basic arithmetic operations. The format of fractions can be changed and there is typically no limit on the size of fractions that can be calculated.
MaxManus
My TI 83 plus has a function called "Frac" which makes decimal numbers into fractions. If I have 0.33333... on the screen and press Frac the calculator returns 1/3. My question is how does this function work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks

1. How do I use the fraction function on my calculator?

The fraction function on calculators is typically denoted by the symbol "frac" or "Frac". To use this function, you must first enter the numerator, then press the "frac" button, followed by the denominator. This will display the fraction in its simplified form.

2. Can I use the fraction function to convert decimals to fractions?

Yes, you can use the fraction function on your calculator to convert decimals to fractions. Simply enter the decimal number and press the "frac" button. The calculator will display the fraction in its simplified form.

3. How do I change the fraction format on my calculator?

The fraction format on calculators can usually be changed by pressing the "mode" button and selecting the desired format. Some common fraction formats include improper fractions, mixed numbers, and decimals.

4. Can fractions be added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided using the fraction function?

Yes, the fraction function on calculators can perform basic arithmetic operations on fractions. Simply enter the fractions and use the corresponding operation buttons (+, -, *, /) to perform the desired calculation.

5. Is there a limit to the size of fractions that can be calculated using the fraction function?

The size of fractions that can be calculated using the fraction function on calculators may vary depending on the specific model. However, most calculators can handle fractions with large numerators and denominators, as well as fractions with decimal values.