The Graph of an Idealized Quantized Spring-Mass Oscillator

In summary, the conversation is about matching different types of systems or situations to their appropriate energy level diagrams. The systems include hadronic, idealized quantized spring-mass oscillator, nuclear, vibrational states of a diatomic molecule, rotational states of a diatomic molecule, electronic, vibrational, and rotational states of a diatomic molecule, and electronic states of a single atom. The typical spacing between levels for each system is also discussed. The student is unsure about the idealized quantized spring-mass oscillator and is seeking clarification.
Oribe Yasuna

Homework Statement

See attached image.
Match the type of system or situation to the appropriate energy level diagram.
1) hadronic (such as
deltacap.gif
+)
2) idealized quantized spring-mass oscillator
3) nuclear (such as the nucleus of a carbon atom)
4) vibrational states of a diatomic molecule such as O2
5) rotational states of a diatomic molecule such as O2
6) electronic, vibrational, and rotational states of a diatomic molecule such as O2
7) electronic states of a single atom such as hydrogen

Homework Equations

No equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the typical spacing between levels in a hadronic system is 10^8 eV = 100 MeV
I know the typical spacing between levels in a nuclear system is 10^6 eV = 1 MeV
I know the typical spacing between rotational states is 10^-4 eV = 0.0001 eV
I know that vibrational states are graphed using a parabolic function.
I know g. measures delta E_rot, delta E_elec and delta E_vib.
Finally, I've been working with the model for the electronic states of a hydrogen atom a lot so I'm sure it's b. because it has 4 energy levels, the ground state is far below the rest, and its an inverse graph.

What stumps me is an idealized quantized spring-mass oscillator. I don't know what that is, but I only have one remaining graph (e.) so why is my answer wrong?
ss+(2015-10-29+at+03.57.30).png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is hard to read the image.

Do you have a full list of your assignments?

1. What is a spring-mass oscillator?

A spring-mass oscillator is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring. When the mass is displaced from its equilibrium position, the spring exerts a restoring force that causes the mass to oscillate back and forth around the equilibrium point.

2. What is the relationship between the displacement and the restoring force in a spring-mass oscillator?

The displacement and the restoring force in a spring-mass oscillator have a linear relationship. This means that the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement, and the constant of proportionality is the spring constant.

3. What is an idealized quantized spring-mass oscillator?

An idealized quantized spring-mass oscillator is a simplified version of a spring-mass oscillator that takes into account the quantization of energy in the system. This means that the energy of the oscillator can only exist in discrete levels, rather than being continuous.

4. How is the energy of an idealized quantized spring-mass oscillator related to its frequency?

The energy of an idealized quantized spring-mass oscillator is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, so does the energy of the oscillator.

5. What is the significance of the graph of an idealized quantized spring-mass oscillator?

The graph of an idealized quantized spring-mass oscillator shows the relationship between the energy levels and the corresponding frequencies. This graph can be used to analyze the behavior of the oscillator and make predictions about its energy and frequency at different points.