The irreducible representations of of su(2): Highest weight method

In summary, the lemma states that if ##u_0:=X^N.u## and ##H.u_0=\lambda u_0=(2N+\alpha)u_0## then ##u_k:=Y^k.u_0## and ##H.u_k=(\lambda-2k)u_k\,.##
Hydaspex
TL;DR Summary
I need to understand this passage from "An Elementary Introduction to Groups and Representations" Brian C. Hall
Hi all I need to understand the following passage from Hall link page 78 :

Some notation first:

Basis for ##sl(2;C)##:

##H=\begin{pmatrix} 1&0\\0&−1\end{pmatrix} ;X=\begin{pmatrix} 0&1\\0&0\end{pmatrix} ;Y=\begin{pmatrix} 0&0\\1&0\end{pmatrix} ##

which have the commutation relations

##[H,X] = 2X ~ ~, [H,Y] =−2Y ~ , [X,Y] =H ####π(X)## acts as the raising operator such that:

##π(H)π(X)u= (α+ 2)π(X)u ##

##π(Y)## acts as the lowering operator such that:

##π(H)π(Y)u= (α−2)π(Y)u ##

There is some N≥0 such that ##π(X)^Nu \neq 0##

but ##π(X)^{N+1}u= 0 ##

We define ##u_0=π(X)^Nu ## then

##(H)u_0=λu_0##

##π(X)u_0= 0 ##
Now, by definition

##u_{k+1}=π(Y)u_k##

Using ##π(H)u_k= (λ−2k)u_k## and induction we have##π(X)u_{k+1}=π(X)π(Y)u_{k}
\\= (π(Y)π(X) +π(H))u_k
\\=π(Y) [kλ−k(k−1)]u_{k−1}+ (λ−2k)u_k
\\= [kλ−k(k−1) + (λ−2k)]u_k##I don't understand how to get ##kλ−k(k−1)]## at the third passage and why ## (λ−2k)u_k## should be zero to get

##π(X)u_{k+1}= [kλ−k(k−1)]u_k##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have difficulties to understand how the representation is finally defined. There seem to be some mistakes in what you have written. E.g. the lines where you explain the action of ##\pi(X)## is actually the description of ##\pi(H)##, which leaves ##\pi(X).u## invariant. And I do not see where ##k^2## comes from, and ##(\lambda - 2k)u_k## isn't zero, why should it be?

I hope I gave a better description of the theorem here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/lie-algebras-a-walkthrough-the-representations/

please read page 77 of the pdf at the link...the full proof is laid out... the theorem is clear and I don't see mistakes yet that passage to prove the lemma is obscure. Wikipedia refers to that book...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representation_theory_of_SU(2) ...
"Weights and the structure of the representation"

So the key is Lemma 5.11. I will omit the ##\pi## and write shortly ##\pi(X)(v)=X.v##.

As always, let us list what we have:
##u_0:=X^N.u## such that ##H.u_0=\lambda u_0=(2N+\alpha)u_0## and ##X.u_0=0\,.##
##u_k:=Y^k.u_0## and thus ##H.u_k=(\lambda-2k)u_k\,.##

The only equation which is used repeatedly is ##A.B.v=[A,B].v+B.A.v## where ##[A,B]=C## is known, so ##A.B.v=C.v+B.A.v## This is the general procedure. In Lemma 5.11. we want to know, what ##X.u_k## is.

##X.u_0 = 0## per definition of ##u_0\,.##
## X.u_1=X.Y^1.u_0= [X,Y].u_0+Y.X.u_0= H.u_0+Y.0=\lambda u_0 \,.##
Now per induction we have
\begin{align*}
X.u_{k+1}&=X.Y^{k+1}.u_0 =X.Y.(Y^k.u_0)=[X,Y].(Y^k.u_0) +Y.X.(Y^k.u_0)\\
&=H.Y^k.u_0+Y.(X.Y^k.u_0)=H.u_k+Y.(X.u_k)\\&=(\lambda-2k)u_k+[k\lambda-k(k-1)]Y.u_{k-1}\\
&=\left(\lambda - 2k + k \cdot \lambda - k^2 +k\right)u_k\\&=\left[(k+1)\lambda - k^2 - k\right]u_k\\
&=\left[(k+1)\lambda - (k+1)k\right]u_k
\end{align*}

Likes Hydaspex
It was so obvious...Thank you for your help and I will read your insight.

Likes berkeman

What is the significance of irreducible representations in su(2)?

The irreducible representations of su(2) are important in understanding the symmetries of physical systems. They allow us to classify and analyze the different possible states of a system and how they transform under rotations and other transformations.

What is the highest weight method used for in su(2) representations?

The highest weight method is a technique used to find the irreducible representations of su(2). It involves finding the highest weight state, which is the state with the highest eigenvalue for a specific operator, and then using it to construct the entire representation.

How does the highest weight method work?

The highest weight method works by first finding the highest weight state and then applying lowering operators to it to generate the other states in the representation. The number of times each lowering operator is applied determines the dimension of the representation.

What are the advantages of using the highest weight method in su(2) representations?

The highest weight method is advantageous because it allows us to easily determine the dimensions and other properties of irreducible representations. It also provides a systematic way of constructing these representations, making it easier to analyze and understand them.

Are there any limitations to the highest weight method in su(2) representations?

One limitation of the highest weight method is that it can only be applied to su(2) representations. It is not applicable to other Lie groups or algebras. Additionally, it may not be the most efficient method for finding representations in certain cases, such as when the highest weight state is not known or when the representation is very large.