The Magnification of a Microscope Given Distances and Focal Lengths

In summary, the overall magnification of the compound microscope in this problem is approximately 8.08x. This can be calculated using the equation M = (fo x D) / fe, where M is the magnification, D is the distance between the lenses, fo is the focal length of the objective lens, and fe is the focal length of the eyepiece lens.
PhysicsFishy
Alright, I was hoping that someone could help me out with this... The problem is:

"The distance between the eyepiece and the objective lens in a certain compound microscope is 21.0 cm. The focal length of the eyepiece is 2.60 cm, and that of the objective is 0.400 cm. What is the overall magnification of the microscope?"

---​

I know that for a telescope that:

M=(-)fo/fe

M=magnification
fo=focal length of objective lens
fe=focal length of eyepiece lens
(-)=negative inserted if image is inverted

---​

If I apply this equation to the problem I get "-.15" which is incorrect. The distance between the lenses is a variable, so I know that I somehow need to apply that but am unsure how to do it. Is there another equation I can use? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can use a slightly different equation to calculate the magnification of a compound microscope. It is: M = (fo x D) / (fe x d)Where M = magnification, D = distance between the lenses, fo = focal length of the objective lens, fe = focal length of the eyepiece lens, and d = distance from the object to the objective lens.In this particular problem, we are given the distance between the lenses (D) and the focal lengths of both the objective and eyepiece lenses (fo and fe). We also know that the distance from the object to the objective lens (d) is typically very small and can be assumed to be zero. Therefore, the equation simplifies to: M = (fo x D) / fePlugging in the given values, we get:M = (0.400 cm x 21.0 cm) / 2.60 cm M = 8.08x

What is the magnification of a microscope?

The magnification of a microscope refers to the degree to which an object appears larger when viewed through the microscope compared to its actual size. It is calculated by dividing the image size by the object size.

What are the units of magnification?

The magnification of a microscope is typically expressed in either a decimal or fractional number, such as 10x or 0.5x. Some microscopes also have a zoom feature that allows for continuous magnification.

How is the magnification of a microscope determined?

The magnification of a microscope is determined by the combination of two factors: the focal length of the objective lens and the distance between the objective lens and the eyepiece. The higher the focal length and the shorter the distance, the greater the magnification.

Can the magnification of a microscope be changed?

Yes, the magnification of a microscope can be changed by adjusting the objective lens and/or the distance between the objective lens and the eyepiece. Some microscopes also have interchangeable lenses with different focal lengths to achieve varying levels of magnification.

Why is understanding the magnification of a microscope important?

Understanding the magnification of a microscope is crucial in accurately observing and measuring microscopic objects. It allows for a better understanding of the size and structure of tiny specimens, which is essential in many scientific fields such as biology, medicine, and materials science.