The max deviation (non linearity ) of a system

In summary, the conversation is about estimating the maximum deviation of a system in a germanium lab. The person has plotted the relation between the deviation of energy and true energy, and is unsure of what to do next. They mention that the highest deviation on the plot is (1400, 610) and their partner used a linear line to find the difference between the highest and lowest points. The speaker is unsure of how to do this.
Hayool
Hi,

I have a question from my germanium lab, which is how to estimate the max deviation (non linearity ) of a system.
I plot the relation between the deviation of the energy as a function of true energy and got this ( see pic), but didn't know what to do next.
upload_2016-3-12_16-0-48.png

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How is "maximal deviation" defined?

I moved the thread to the homework section.

mfb said:
How is "maximal deviation" defined?

I moved the thread to the homework section.
The highest deviation which in the plot is (1400,610)
As i understood from one of my partners he used a linear line through the highest point and another line through the lowest one, then he found the difference between these two equations.
which i didn't know how to do.

Well, the data points look quite linear, so you can describe your data well. Then you look for some deviations, but with an unknown way to quantify those.

Q: What is the max deviation (non-linearity) of a system?

The max deviation (non-linearity) of a system refers to the maximum amount by which the actual output of a system can deviate from its expected or ideal output. It is a measure of the system's accuracy and can be caused by various factors such as noise, errors in measurement, or imperfections in the system itself.

Q: How is the max deviation (non-linearity) of a system calculated?

The max deviation (non-linearity) of a system is typically calculated by taking the difference between the actual output and the expected output, and then finding the maximum value of this difference over a given range of inputs. This is often expressed as a percentage of the full-scale range of the system.

Q: Why is it important to measure and minimize the max deviation (non-linearity) of a system?

The max deviation (non-linearity) of a system is important because it directly affects the accuracy and reliability of the system's output. In many scientific and engineering applications, even small deviations can lead to significant errors and inaccuracies, so it is crucial to measure and minimize this factor to ensure the system's performance and data integrity.

Q: What are some common techniques used to reduce the max deviation (non-linearity) of a system?

There are several techniques that can be used to reduce the max deviation (non-linearity) of a system, including calibration, signal conditioning, and using higher precision components. Additionally, designing and testing the system carefully can also help identify and minimize potential sources of non-linearity.

Q: Can the max deviation (non-linearity) of a system be completely eliminated?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate the max deviation (non-linearity) of a system. However, it can be reduced to a negligible level through careful design, calibration, and use of precise components. The amount of acceptable deviation will depend on the specific application and the required level of accuracy.