The mean value of the cube, Force Field Laplace equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mean value of a given value U, represented by a complex equation. The solution involves taking integrals and evaluating derivatives at 0. The final answer for the mean value is given as follows: $$\overline{\rm U}\approx U_0+a^2/24(∇^2U)$$
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I have a value of $$ U=U_0+x (∂U/∂x)+y(∂U/∂y)+z (∂U/∂z)+1/2x^2(∂^2U/∂x^2)+1/2y^(2∂^2U/∂y^2)+...$$

We need to find the mean value of the U. So the answer is

$$\overline{\rm U}\approx U_0+a^2/24(∇^2U)$$

Homework Equations

$$\overline{\rm U}=1/a^3 \int \int\int Udxdydz$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I get is that I have to proof that,

$$K=1/a^3 \int \int\int x (∂U/∂x)+y(∂U/∂y)+z (∂U/∂z)dxdydz=0$$ but

$$L=1/a^3 \int \int\int 1/2x^2(∂^2U/∂x^2)+1/2y^(2∂^2U/∂y^2)+1/2z^(2∂^2U/∂z^2)=a^2/24(∇^2U)$$ but

I couldn't proceed why these are true.

The integral limits are from ##-a/2## to ##a/2##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:

Homework Statement

I have a value of $$ U=U_0+x (∂U/∂x)+y(∂U/∂y)+z (∂U/∂z)+1/2x^2(∂^2U/∂x^2)+1/2y^(2∂^2U/∂y^2)+...$$
I think you have to be careful interpreting that. The derivatives should be evaluated at 0, so for the purposes of the integration they are constants.
I.e. ##\frac{\partial U}{\partial x}|_{x=0}## etc.
Also, you have dropped a power of 2 on the y in the last term above.

1. What is the mean value of the cube in relation to the Force Field Laplace equation?

The mean value of the cube is a mathematical concept that represents the average value of a function over a given domain. In the context of the Force Field Laplace equation, it is used to calculate the average potential energy of a system.

2. How is the mean value of the cube calculated in the Force Field Laplace equation?

The mean value of the cube is calculated by taking the integral of the function over the given domain and dividing it by the volume of the domain. In the Force Field Laplace equation, this involves integrating the potential energy function over the entire system and dividing it by the volume of the system.

3. What is the significance of the mean value of the cube in the Force Field Laplace equation?

The mean value of the cube is significant in the Force Field Laplace equation because it allows us to determine the average potential energy of a system. This can help us understand the overall behavior and stability of the system.

4. How does the mean value of the cube affect the overall force field in the Laplace equation?

The mean value of the cube is directly related to the potential energy function in the Laplace equation. As the mean value of the cube changes, the potential energy function also changes, which in turn affects the overall force field of the system.

5. Can the mean value of the cube be negative in the Force Field Laplace equation?

Yes, the mean value of the cube can be negative in the Force Field Laplace equation. This indicates that the potential energy of the system is negative, which can happen in certain cases where the system is unstable or has a lower potential energy than the reference state.