The necessary inclined force to rotate an object around an axis

In summary: Just checking... your diagram implies this is a trapdoor, not an upright door, yes? So the further from the hinge the force is applied, the smaller the angle will necessarily be. Yes, it's a trapdoor.Yes, it's a trapdoor.
chane
Homework Statement
I just want to ask if is it possible to find the force F, the angle "alpha" and the distance between the force F and the pivot just with the door weight. Or I have to make an assumption of the angle or the distance.
Btw the object lenght is 2150mm
Relevant Equations
Fy = F*sin(alpha)
1653314333379.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Can you explain what you are trying to do?

Likes chane and Zeekiel
I am trying to rotate the door around the pivot (red dot) using an inclined force

chane said:
I am trying to rotate the door around the pivot (red dot) using an inclined force
Then you have to specify ## \alpha ## if you are to find the force ## F ##

Likes chane
... The required force depends on both the angle ##\alpha## and the point at which the force is applied. For physical reasons it's optimum to have ##\alpha = \frac \pi 2## and ##F## applied as far from the pivot as possible. Your equations should lead to the same conclusion.

Likes chane
erobz said:
Then you have to specify ## \alpha ## if you are to find the force ## F ##
So I have to suppose alpha and make my calculation around it

PeroK said:
... The required force depends on both the angle ##\alpha## and the point at which the force is applied. For physical reasons it's optimum to have ##\alpha = \frac \pi 2## and ##F## applied as far from the pivot as possible. Your equations should lead to the same conclusion.
Thanks now i get it

Last question how do i write "alpha" as a the symbole (i'm new )

Likes chane
PeroK said:
For physical reasons it's optimum to have ##\alpha = \frac \pi 2## and ##F## applied as far from the pivot as possible.
That is why people who design doors cleverly put doorknobs and handles as far away from the hinges as possible. Quite often in public places one also sees instructions of use, e.g. "PUSH" or "PULL".

kuruman said:
That is why people who design doors cleverly put doorknobs and handles as far away from the hinges as possible.
They're not quite so clever when it comes to the height of the doorknobs, which are usually far too low!

PeroK said:
They're not quite so clever when it comes to the height of the doorknobs, which are usually far too low!
I am not so sure. It's possible that the height of doorknobs has been influenced by universal design principles. They have to be accessible to all, including persons with dwarfism, children and perhaps dogs trained to bring in one's newspaper.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK and Lnewqban
kuruman said:
I am not so sure. It's possible that the height of doorknobs has been influenced by universal design principles. They have to be accessible to all, including persons with dwarfism, children and perhaps dogs trained to bring in one's newspaper.

AEEE175B-F76A-4363-BDA3-3BFF857BE618.jpeg

chane said:
is it possible to find the force F, the angle "alpha" and the distance between the force F and the pivot just with the door weight.
Just checking... your diagram implies this is a trapdoor, not an upright door, yes? So the further from the hinge the force is applied, the smaller the angle will necessarily be. I.e. ##d\sec(\alpha)## is fixed as the string or arm length.
If you want to take friction into account, note that ##F\cos(\alpha)## contributes to the normal load at the pivot.

1. What is meant by "necessary inclined force"?

The necessary inclined force refers to the minimum amount of force required to rotate an object around an axis. This force is typically applied at an angle to the axis, rather than directly perpendicular to it.

2. How is the necessary inclined force calculated?

The necessary inclined force can be calculated using the formula F = I * α, where F is the necessary force, I is the moment of inertia of the object, and α is the angular acceleration. This formula takes into account the mass and distribution of mass of the object, as well as the desired rotational speed.

3. What factors affect the necessary inclined force?

The necessary inclined force is affected by several factors, including the mass and distribution of mass of the object, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the desired angular acceleration. Friction and air resistance may also play a role in determining the necessary inclined force.

4. Can the necessary inclined force be reduced?

Yes, the necessary inclined force can be reduced by decreasing the mass or changing the distribution of mass of the object, or by decreasing the distance from the axis of rotation. Additionally, reducing friction and air resistance can also decrease the necessary inclined force.

5. How is the necessary inclined force useful in real-world applications?

The concept of the necessary inclined force is important in many real-world applications, such as designing machines and structures that require rotational motion, like gears and turbines. It is also relevant in sports, such as calculating the necessary force for a gymnast to rotate around a bar or for a figure skater to perform a spin.