The power series above is the Taylor series....

In summary, the student is trying to find the sum of the Taylor series for a function with a negative second term. They are using the geometric series equation and the power series equation, but are not getting the correct answer. They are close to the correct answer using the S=a/(1-R) equation.
nfcfox

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/1aOFPI7

PART 2

Homework Equations

Taylor series form

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought process is that the answer is 3 because using the geometric series equation (1st term)/(1-R) then you can get the sum. In this case R would be x+2 where x is -2 so 0. 1st term is 3/1 so the answer would be 3. I feel like this isn't what I'm supposed to do as it's saying the power series is the taylor series of some function, f but I have no idea how I could find a sum for that.

Physics news on Phys.org
I will try to help, but the PF rules don't allow me to give the complete answer. You are already very close to the correct answer using S=A/(1-R). Your R=x+2 is also correct. One hint is that the (x-a) shows up repeatedly in the Taylor expansion about x=a. You need to determine what "a" is in their Taylor expansion. Then try expanding your S(x) about x=a. Does this duplicate their function?

Charles Link said:
I will try to help, but the PF rules don't allow me to give the complete answer. You are already very close to the correct answer using S=a/(1-R). Your R=x+2 is also correct. One hint is that the (x-a) shows up repeatedly in the Taylor expansion about x=a. You need to determine what "a" is in their Taylor expansion. Then try expanding your S(x) about x=a. Does this duplicate their function?
So it's 3? A is -2...

nfcfox said:
So it's 3? A is -2...
I just edited my post so that "A" and "a" are not confused. Yes, the expansion is about a=-2. For x=-2 the answer is 3. (This question wasn't clear in the link-it wants the sum of the series for...and the next character or two I couldn't see.) They also want to know the interval of convergence. That should be evident from your geometric series expression.

Last edited:

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms that are calculated from the values of the function's derivatives at a single point. It is used to approximate the value of a function at a specific point.

2. How is a Taylor series related to power series?

A Taylor series is a specific type of power series, where the terms are calculated using the function's derivatives at a single point. Power series, on the other hand, can be used to represent a variety of functions by expanding them as infinite sums of powers of a variable.

3. What does it mean for a function to have a Taylor series representation?

Having a Taylor series representation means that the function can be approximated by an infinite sum of terms that are calculated from the values of its derivatives at a single point. This allows for the function to be evaluated at any point within its domain.

4. How is a Taylor series used in calculus?

In calculus, a Taylor series is used to approximate the value of a function at a specific point, especially when the function is difficult or impossible to evaluate directly. It can also be used to find the derivatives of a function at a specific point.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Taylor series?

Yes, there are limitations to using a Taylor series. It only provides an approximation of a function and may not accurately represent the function for values outside of the radius of convergence. Additionally, the series may not converge for all values of the variable, making it unreliable for certain functions.