The relative difficulty of organic chemistry

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of Organic Chemistry and the differences in logic compared to other chemistry classes. The poster mentions that they have studied the subject through a textbook, and found the myriad reactions to be the hardest part. They also mention that working with larger molecules can be challenging due to multiple reactive groups and potential products. Overall, the conversation emphasizes that understanding and organizing reactions is key to excelling in Organic Chemistry.
Bassir
There is lots of talk about how hard Organic Chemistry is, so I ask, what did you think of Organic Chemistry if you took it, and how did you excel at it if you did? What were your weaknesses?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Although I haven't officially taken a class, I have studied a textbook, and the hardest part for me was the myriad reactions.

This post didn't help, did it?

Its not so bad, reactions are the difficult part, so personally understand a reaction/mechanism requires some chemical intuition but the difficulty lies in mental organization for myself

Organic chemistry logic is in a way different from the logic taught in general chemistry classes, so when you are exposed to the organic chemistry - even if you have general chemistry behind - it seems completely alien. As GenChem101 comes always before Org101 almost every chemist have seen that problem, hence many people think organic chemistry is difficult. It is not, it is just in a way different.

--

In my case, reactions start off not neing too hard. You have categories to help you figure them out (addition, elimination, substitution, condensation, hydrolysis etc...), and you learn what to look for. Working with larger molecules is tough, because you often have several reactive groups and possible products, and the molecules react with themselves, which I found to be the most annoying part. This is at least the case on a third year high-school level.

Related to The relative difficulty of organic chemistry

1. What makes organic chemistry difficult?

Organic chemistry is considered difficult because it involves a lot of memorization and understanding of complex chemical structures and reactions. It also requires a strong foundation in basic chemistry concepts.

2. How can I improve my understanding of organic chemistry?

The best way to improve your understanding of organic chemistry is to practice and review regularly. It is also helpful to form study groups or seek help from a tutor or professor.

3. What are some common challenges students face in organic chemistry?

Some common challenges in organic chemistry include understanding the different types of reactions, predicting products, and mastering the nomenclature of organic compounds. Time management and keeping up with the pace of the course can also be difficult for students.

4. Is organic chemistry harder than other branches of chemistry?

This is subjective and can vary from person to person. However, organic chemistry is often considered more difficult because it involves a different way of thinking and approaching problems compared to other branches of chemistry.

5. What resources are available to help with understanding organic chemistry?

There are many resources available to help with understanding organic chemistry, such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study guides. Your professor or university may also offer tutoring services or study groups. It is important to find the resources that work best for you and to use them consistently.