The Road to Reality by Penrose?

In summary, the conversation is about a person in the US who bought a book from Amazon and is asking for opinions on whether it is a good buy. They mention their limited knowledge on the subject and ask if they could understand the book or if it would be too difficult. The responder mentions that they have skimmed the book and it is tough for someone with little knowledge, especially in math. They suggest skimming it and setting it as a goal rather than expecting to fully understand it as a layman.
iosman001
Hello,

i live in the US and decided to get this book off of amazon i was wondering if anyone has read, or atleast skimmed (its pretty big) through it and would mind telling me if its a good buy(although if it isnt, its a little late now :tongue2:).

also, I am pretty new to most of the theories. all of my knowledge has come from "A Brief History of Time", "The Elegant Universe", "The Universe in a Nutshell", and "Hyperspace". Do you think i could plow my way through this book or would it be way over my head?

thanks
alexsunny

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm, I haven't read it but I have skimmed it. It's a tough book for a layman with little knowledge. It is much different from the other books you mentioned. What is the level of your math knowledge and familiarity? If you don't remember at least high school math it may be very rough. It has like, what, almost 400 pages of math? It is interesting math, not boring math, and it is approached on an intuitive level rather than getting deep into technicalities, but I would say you need some familiarity and facility with basic math to be able to get through all that stuff. I would say skim it and see for yourself. It's definitely not impossible or whatever but you'd have to set finishing the book as a target.

Likes Demystifier
This book's been discussed here just recently
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/anyone-read-road-to-reality.1000552/

You could go ahead and read it, of course, but actually understanding it for a layman, who doesn't already have familiarity with mathematical content of this book, is pretty unrealistic in my opinion.

Likes Demystifier, pinball1970 and hutchphd
It's also not really a textbook.

Likes vanhees71 and dextercioby
thanks my issue has been fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman

1. What is "The Road to Reality" by Penrose?

"The Road to Reality" is a book written by renowned physicist Sir Roger Penrose. It is a comprehensive and ambitious exploration of the fundamental laws of physics and their implications for understanding the universe.

2. Who is Sir Roger Penrose?

Sir Roger Penrose is a British mathematician and physicist who has made significant contributions to the fields of general relativity, cosmology, and mathematical physics. He is well-known for his collaborations with Stephen Hawking and for his work on the Penrose-Hawking singularity theorems.

3. Is "The Road to Reality" suitable for non-scientists?

No, "The Road to Reality" is a highly technical and advanced book that is primarily aimed at scientists and mathematicians. It assumes a strong background in mathematics and physics and may be difficult for non-scientists to understand.

4. What topics are covered in "The Road to Reality"?

"The Road to Reality" covers a wide range of topics, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, relativity, cosmology, particle physics, and more. It also delves into mathematical concepts such as topology, group theory, and differential geometry.

5. What makes "The Road to Reality" unique?

"The Road to Reality" stands out for its ambitious goal of providing a comprehensive and unified understanding of the laws of physics and the universe. It also includes a significant amount of mathematical detail and rigor, making it a valuable resource for those interested in the mathematical foundations of physics.