The sizes of objects that can be welded with Oxyacetylene?

• Thread starter Fawzi Da
  • Start date
In summary, the sizes of objects that can be welded with Oxyacetylene depend on the type of welding and the thickness of the objects. For welding plate mild steel with a butt joint, the practical limit is about 3/16" thick. However, if the edges of the joint are beveled, there is no specific limit and it depends on the patience of the welder. Using a larger torch and fill rod can make the work go faster.
Fawzi Da
Hello fellow members. How are you all doing? I hope your doing great.

I'm currently searching types of welding types and came across a question I need for my assignments.The sizes of objects that can be welded with Oxyacetylene?

Thank you in advance
Fawzi

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, it depends. If you are welding plate mild steel with a butt joint the practical limit is about 3/16" thick. If you bevel the edges of the joint the limit is your patience. A larger torch and fill rod will make the work go faster but there is not a limit "as a rule". I hope this helps.

montoyas7940 said:
Well, it depends. If you are welding plate mild steel with a butt joint the practical limit is about 3/16" thick. If you bevel the edges of the joint the limit is your patience. A larger torch and fill rod will make the work go faster but there is not a limit "as a rule". I hope this helps.

Thank you!

Related to The sizes of objects that can be welded with Oxyacetylene?

1. What is the maximum thickness of metal that can be welded with Oxyacetylene?

The maximum thickness of metal that can be welded with Oxyacetylene depends on the equipment used and the skill level of the welder. Generally, Oxyacetylene can weld metals up to 1 inch in thickness, but with specialized equipment, it can weld thicker materials.

2. Can Oxyacetylene be used to weld different types of metal?

Yes, Oxyacetylene can be used to weld a variety of metals including carbon steel, stainless steel, aluminum, and copper. However, different types of filler rods and gas mixtures may be required for optimal welding results.

3. What is the ideal size of the welding tip for Oxyacetylene welding?

The size of the welding tip for Oxyacetylene welding depends on the thickness of the metal being welded. As a general rule, the tip size should be approximately three times the thickness of the metal. So, for welding 1/4 inch thick metal, a tip with a diameter of about 3/4 inch would be suitable.

4. Is Oxyacetylene welding suitable for welding small objects?

Yes, Oxyacetylene welding can be used to weld small objects. However, it requires a high level of skill and precision as the heat produced by the torch can easily melt or damage small objects. It is important to use a small tip and be careful not to overheat the metal.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when welding with Oxyacetylene?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when welding with Oxyacetylene. It is important to wear appropriate protective gear, including goggles and flame-resistant clothing. Adequate ventilation is also necessary to prevent the buildup of potentially hazardous gases. In addition, proper training and experience are essential to ensure safe and effective welding with Oxyacetylene.