The sum of two vectors given magnitudes and included angle

In summary, the problem is to find the sum of two vectors, u and v, given their magnitudes and the angle between them. Using the law of cosines, the magnitude can be found by plugging in the values for the magnitudes and the angle. The direction can be found by using trigonometry to find the angle between the sides of the triangle formed by the two vectors. In some cases, the angle between u and u + v may not bisect the angle between u and v, so additional trigonometry may be needed to find the correct angle.
Aaron H.

Homework Statement

Given the magnitudes of vectors u and v and the angle θ between them, find sum of u + v. Give the magnitude to the nearest tenth when necessary and give the direction by specifying the angle that the resultant makes with u to the nearest degree.

Homework Equations

|u| = 15, |v| = 15, θ = 116°

The Attempt at a Solution

Knowing only the answer (15.9, 58°) and some trig ideas:

I draw an angle of 116 degrees in the starting point of the trig plane. I drop a line from the angle end side, forming a triangle with a 64 degree angle in quadrant II. The other angles of the triangle are both 58 degrees (116 deg / 2). Both opposite (U) and adjacent (V) sides are 15.

SAS - law of cosines

c^2 = (15)^2 + (15)^2 - 2 (15)(15) cos (64 deg)

c = 15.9

angle = 58 deg

(15.9, 58 deg)

What is the correct method?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that is the correct method. Well done! Draw the quadrilateral that the two vectors and the sum make and use trig.

Can you verify this?

|u| = 6, |v| = 11, θ = 42

I drew the quadrilateral. From this, 138 deg captures (u + v). Law of cosines using 6, 11, and 138 deg. c = u + v = 15.97. Round to 16. 42 bisected = 21. Calculated answer (16, 21 deg), however, the answer key presents (16, 27 deg). I have no idea how that angle can be 27 so that must be a mistake.

Aaron H. said:
Can you verify this?

|u| = 6, |v| = 11, θ = 42

I drew the quadrilateral. From this, 138 deg captures (u + v). Law of cosines using 6, 11, and 138 deg. c = u + v = 15.97. Round to 16. 42 bisected = 21. Calculated answer (16, 21 deg), however, the answer key presents (16, 27 deg). I have no idea how that angle can be 27 so that must be a mistake.

In your last example you had |u|=|v| so you could just bisect the angle. Here |u| and |v| are different. So the angle of u+v won't bisect the angle. You'll have to do a little more trig to find the right angle. You'll want to find the angle between the sides that are 6 and 16 in the triangle whose sides are 6, 11 and 16.

Got it, thanks. The angles of the 6-11-16 triangle are 138 deg, 15 deg, and 27 deg. I used the law of cosines. 27 deg is the angle between u and u + v.

As written there are an infinite number of answers since u + v is a vector sum. Are you sure it isn't |u + v|?

Related to The sum of two vectors given magnitudes and included angle

What is the formula for finding the sum of two vectors given their magnitudes and included angle?

The formula for finding the sum of two vectors given their magnitudes and included angle is:
c = √(a² + b² + 2ab cosθ)
Where c is the magnitude of the resultant vector, a and b are the magnitudes of the two vectors, and θ is the included angle between the two vectors.

How do you determine the direction of the resultant vector when adding two vectors with different directions?

The direction of the resultant vector can be determined by using the law of cosines to find the angle between the resultant vector and one of the original vectors, and then using the law of sines to determine the remaining angle. The resultant vector will be in the direction of the angle found using the law of sines.

Can the sum of two vectors be greater than the individual magnitudes of the vectors?

Yes, the sum of two vectors can be greater than the individual magnitudes of the vectors. This can happen when the included angle between the two vectors is less than 90 degrees, as the cosine of an angle less than 90 degrees will always be positive.

What happens if the included angle between two vectors is 0 degrees or 180 degrees?

If the included angle between two vectors is 0 degrees, the two vectors are parallel and have the same direction. In this case, the sum of the two vectors will simply be the sum of their magnitudes. If the included angle is 180 degrees, the two vectors are parallel but have opposite directions. In this case, the sum of the two vectors will be 0.

Can the sum of two vectors be negative?

No, the sum of two vectors cannot be negative. Vectors represent both magnitude and direction, so the sum of two vectors will always result in a positive value. If the two vectors have opposite directions, the sum will be 0.