The Sun from Pluto: Visibility & Brightness

In summary, the conversation discusses the brightness and size of the Sun as seen from Pluto. It is mentioned that the Sun appears 150-250 times brighter than the full moon from Pluto and that it is about 30 arcminutes when viewed from Earth. It is also discussed that the Sun would be visible from Pluto and would likely appear as a very bright point of light in the sky. The conversation also speculates on the size and appearance of the Sun from Pluto.
grandpa2390
This has always been something that has interested me. 2 things that I have found from the internet is that 1.) The Sun viewed from Pluto is (150 or 250) times brighter than the full moon. It varies of course depending on where Pluto is in its orbit.
2.) The Sun is about 30 arcminutes viewed from Earth and about .75 arcminutes when viewed from Pluto.

If these two things are true, Then that means that the sun will certainly be (very) visible from pluto, but I can't help but wonder what size. Is there something in the night sky that is roughly .75 arcminutes. is that even something that could be distinguished? I think it is, at times, the size of Ceres from Earth. But Ceres is too dim for us to see.

It just boggles my mind. I want to look up at the night sky, see an object and say, ok that is what the sun looks like from pluto if it were 2000x brighter (or whatever)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
grandpa2390 said:
Is there something in the night sky that is roughly .75 arcminutes. is that even something that could be distinguished? I think it is, at times, the size of Ceres from Earth. But Ceres is too dim for us to see.

Jupiter at closest approach is 50 arcseconds across, or about 0.8 arcminutes. It's just under the minimum resolution of the eye (about 1 arcmin depending on the person).

So on Pluto you'd look up and see a very, very bright point of light.

Drakkith said:
Jupiter at closest approach is 50 arcseconds across, or about 0.8 arcminutes. It's just under the minimum resolution of the eye (about 1 arcmin depending on the person).

So on Pluto you'd look up and see a very, very bright point of light.

That is so crazy. some have said it would be painful to look at. Would it even look like a point. Like maybe the brightness would change its appearance?

It would certainly look larger than 0.75 arcminutes just from diffraction and the fact that your eye isn't perfect. Just like how the Sun from Earth looks much larger than 30 arcminutes.

From Pluto the Sun would certainly be the brightest object in the sky.
It would be nowhere near as bright as the Sun seen as seen from Earth though;
but probably resolvable as more than a point source

1. How visible is the Sun from Pluto?

The Sun is still visible from Pluto, but it appears significantly smaller and dimmer than it does from Earth. Due to the vast distance between the two planets, the Sun's apparent size on Pluto is about 1/100th of what it appears on Earth.

2. Can humans see the Sun from Pluto?

No, humans cannot see the Sun from Pluto without the aid of a powerful telescope. The Sun would appear as a small, faint dot in the sky, similar to how the stars appear from Earth.

3. How bright is the Sun from Pluto?

The Sun's brightness from Pluto is significantly reduced compared to its brightness from Earth. The amount of sunlight reaching Pluto is about 1/1600th of what reaches Earth, making the Sun appear much dimmer.

4. Does Pluto experience day and night like Earth does?

Yes, Pluto does experience a day and night cycle, although it is very different from Earth's. Due to Pluto's long 248-year orbit around the Sun, a single day on Pluto is equivalent to about 6.4 Earth days.

5. How does the Sun's visibility and brightness from Pluto affect the planet's temperature?

The Sun's reduced brightness and distant location contribute to Pluto's extremely cold temperatures. The average surface temperature on Pluto is around -400 degrees Fahrenheit, making it one of the coldest objects in our solar system.