Thermal expansion over a large temperature range

In summary: Interesting, could you elaborate? I wasn't aware different cooling mechanisms could affect how much a material contracts. If you could give a few examples I'd be interested to hear.Is this true, even though the expansion occurs at negligible stress (and isotropically)?Yes, the expansion always occurs at negligible stress and isotropically.
Eric MIlburn
So I've been working at a steel mill where we deal with billets cooling from temperatures around 1200 C to between 10-25 C. I have access to average thermal expansion coefficients over this temperature range.

First question: Over a large temperature range as aforementioned am I correct in assuming it is better to integrate the thermal expansion formula rather than taking an average value for the thermal expansion coefficient?

Second question: When integrating the thermal expansion formula am I correct in assuming (as is usually the case) that I should use temperatures in Kelvin?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I should clarify that the average expansion coefficients are averaged over various steels, not the temperature range.

Most thermodynamics formulas were worked out in Kelvin and hence you should either look for the modified version in Celsius or simply convert your temperatures to Kelvin. As for the expansion coefficient, the accuracy of the values becomes more important (over the averaged one) the smaller the volume. It is not clear from your post what sizes are you dealing with exactly, but if you wants absolute accuracy, don't use the averaged value, or do a solid scientific experiment and run a couple of identical ones (one with an averaged value for C and one with an integrated value) and compare the two.

Eric MIlburn said:
So I've been working at a steel mill where we deal with billets cooling from temperatures around 1200 C to between 10-25 C. I have access to average thermal expansion coefficients over this temperature range.

First question: Over a large temperature range as aforementioned am I correct in assuming it is better to integrate the thermal expansion formula rather than taking an average value for the thermal expansion coefficient?

Second question: When integrating the thermal expansion formula am I correct in assuming (as is usually the case) that I should use temperatures in Kelvin?
Please specify the exact forms of the thermal expansion equations that you are talking about here.

I'm only concerned with length so its the linear equation of thermal expansion: (ΔL/L0)=α(T)ΔT

Eric MIlburn said:
I'm only concerned with length so its the linear equation of thermal expansion: (ΔL/L0)=α(T)ΔT
Eric, in this equation, alpha depends on both T and T0, and the equation is valid only for small values of ΔT. If you want to write the equation correctly, and you want it to apply over a large range of temperatures, you have to write $$\frac{1}{L}\frac{dL}{dT}=\alpha(T)$$and integrate this differential equation with respect to T. Otherwise, you will get the wrong answer.

Ok perfect that answers my first question, thanks! And you would use temperatures in Kelvin after integrating correct?

Eric MIlburn said:
Ok perfect that answers my first question, thanks! And you would use temperatures in Kelvin after integrating correct?
I would use degrees C. There is no need to convert to Kelvin in this calculation.

What if α(T) takes the form of a third order polynomial for instance? Wouldn't units have an effect then?
For instance (3254-2754)≠(524-24)

Eric MIlburn said:
What if α(T) takes the form of a third order polynomial for instance? Wouldn't units have an effect then?
For instance (3254-2754)≠(524-24)
The relationship for alpha has to specify whether the temperature in the equation is expressed in C or whether it is expressed in K.

Makes total sense, so since in my case since I plotted α vs. T in Kelvin to get an equation for α(T) the units for the integrated equation would also be Kelvin. But had I plotted α vs. T in Celcius I would then use Celcius in the integrated equation as well.

Likes Chestermiller
Worth noting that if the top temperature puts the metal in the plastic range then contraction on cooling is partly dependent on the cooling procedure .

Nidum said:
Worth noting that if the top temperature puts the metal in the plastic range then contraction on cooling is partly dependent on the cooling procedure .
Interesting, could you elaborate? I wasn't aware different cooling mechanisms could affect how much a material contracts. If you could give a few examples I'd be interested to hear.

Nidum said:
Is this true, even though the expansion occurs at negligible stress (and isotropically)?

Last edited:
Thank you for your interest . I am preparing a note on this subject .

What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of matter to change in volume or dimensions in response to a change in temperature. When an object is heated, its particles gain energy and vibrate faster, causing the object to expand. Conversely, when an object is cooled, its particles slow down and the object contracts.

What is considered a large temperature range in thermal expansion?

A large temperature range in thermal expansion refers to a significant difference in temperature at which the expansion or contraction of an object is measured. This can vary depending on the material and its properties, but generally, a range greater than 100 degrees Celsius is considered large.

What factors affect thermal expansion over a large temperature range?

There are several factors that can affect thermal expansion over a large temperature range, including the type of material, its composition, and its dimensions. The coefficient of thermal expansion, which measures the rate of expansion per degree change in temperature, also plays a significant role in determining the extent of thermal expansion.

How is thermal expansion measured over a large temperature range?

Thermal expansion is typically measured using a coefficient of thermal expansion, which is calculated by dividing the change in length or volume of an object by the change in temperature. This value can then be used to predict the amount of expansion or contraction that will occur over a given temperature range.

What are some practical applications of understanding thermal expansion over a large temperature range?

Understanding thermal expansion over a large temperature range is crucial for various industries, including construction, engineering, and materials science. It is also essential for designing and manufacturing products that can withstand extreme temperatures and for predicting and preventing potential damage from thermal expansion, such as in pipelines and bridges.