Thermodynamics- thermal expansion coefficient

In summary, the volume thermal expansion coefficient of a solid can be calculated by adding up its linear expansion coefficients in the three directions. For an isotopic solid, when β = 3α, the approximation can be made that β is equal to 3 times α.
Fellowroot

Homework Statement

Prove that the volume thermal expansion coefficient of a solid is equal to the sum of its linear expansion coefficients in the three directions. [itex]\beta[/itex]=[itex]\alpha[/itex]x +[itex]\alpha[/itex]y+[itex]\alpha[/itex]z

For isotopic solid when [itex]\beta[/itex] = 3[itex]\alpha[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\beta[/itex]=[1/v][dv/dt]p= [itex]\alpha[/itex]x +[itex]\alpha[/itex]y+[itex]\alpha[/itex]z

The Attempt at a Solution

I have looked at several websites but can't seem to get it.
http://www.ami.ac.uk/courses/topics/0197_cte/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_thermal_expansion

I thought about just plugging in the [itex]\beta[/itex] but I don't think that is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a cube, and calculate β in terms of changing edge lengths, and then in terms of α. What do you get? What approximations can you make if α is very small?

Thanks for your help.

I know see what you mean.

I did of course only understand it until I found this solution online, I wanted to post it here again just in case someone else wants it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's start with that cube of side L.

If we heat it up, the length of each side will change from L to (L+ΔL), where ΔL = αLΔT.

In other words, the new length is:

L′ = L + αLΔT = L(1 + αΔT)

So the new volume is:

Vo′ = (L′)^3
= [L(1 + αΔT)]^3
= (L^3)(1 + 3αΔT + 3(αΔT)² + (αΔT)^3)
= Vo(1 + 3αΔT + 3(αΔT)² + (αΔT)^3)

Now we make an approximation. Since αΔT is quite small compared to 1, we can safely say that the "3(αΔT)²" term and the "(αΔT)^3" term are negligible compared to the "3αΔT" term. Therefore, to a good approximation,

Vo′ = Vo(1 + 3αΔT)

But we already know, from the definition of β, that:

Vo′ = Vo(1 + βΔT)

So this means that β = 3α.

Related to Thermodynamics- thermal expansion coefficient

What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of matter to change in volume in response to a change in temperature. This occurs because as temperature increases, the particles in a substance vibrate more rapidly, causing them to take up more space.

What is the thermal expansion coefficient?

The thermal expansion coefficient is a measure of the extent to which a material expands or contracts in response to a change in temperature. It is expressed as the change in length, volume, or area per unit change in temperature.

How is thermal expansion coefficient measured?

The thermal expansion coefficient can be measured through experiments where the change in length, volume, or area of a material is recorded at different temperatures. The coefficient is then calculated by dividing the change in size by the initial size and the change in temperature.

What factors affect the thermal expansion coefficient?

The thermal expansion coefficient of a material can be influenced by its chemical composition, crystal structure, and physical properties such as density and thermal conductivity. It can also vary depending on the temperature range and the direction of expansion.

Why is thermal expansion coefficient important?

Understanding the thermal expansion coefficient of materials is crucial in many practical applications, such as building bridges, roads, and pipelines, as well as in engineering and manufacturing processes. It also plays a role in the design and functioning of everyday objects, such as thermometers and thermostats.