Thevenin's Theorem -- Using transformations to find the equivalent resistance

In summary: Then you can use the Work-Principle to find the current through the other loop.In summary, you need to find the equivalent resistance between two terminals, x and y, by measuring the current through the circuit and using the Work-Principle.
Special One
Homework Statement
Calculating the Ix current using the Thevenin
Relevant Equations
Thevenin's Theorem
Hello Guys, I really need help, I am trying to simplify this circuit to calculate Rth and I got stuck.

Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 18.46.00.png

Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 19.06.06.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your first sketch, what can you say about R5 and R7? Do you really need a delta-star transformation?:wink:

cnh1995 said:
In your first sketch, what can you say about R5 and R7? Do you really need a delta-star transformation?:wink:

I really don’t know what you mean. Could you please illustrate more?

Delta-star transformation is used when you cannot use simple series/parallel reduction. Is that the case with R5 and R7?

cnh1995 said:
Delta-star transformation is used when you cannot use simple series/parallel reduction. Is that the case with R5 and R7?
Your method is also correct.
You (correctly) discarded R57 in the vertical leg of the star and you have the final reduced circuit.
Finally, Rth is the resistance seen by a voltage source connected between the Thevenin terminals.
What do you get when you do that in your final circuit?

cnh1995 said:

So, you mean that R5 & R7 are in parallel?

That's an odd way to draw the schematic, but I guess I don't know the context of the book/chapter.

Ideal current sources have infinite resistance. They will make whatever voltage is required to get the current indicated, so it doesn't matter to the rest of the circuit what value the series resistor(s) is. You could make R2 and R6 be 0 ohms (or any value, like ∞) and get the same effect on the rest of the circuit, 10A (10A no matter what is in that branch of the circuit).

Current meters will have zero resistance. They can't have a voltage drop or that would change the current in the circuit when it is inserted to make a measurement. If that is a current meter instead of a source, then you can replace it with a short (0 ohm resistor). It's the same as if they just told you the "current through R2 is 10A".

There is a similar issue with resistors in parallel with voltage sources. That doesn't apply to your problem, but I think it's easier to see intuitively. If you put a resistor across an ideal voltage source, you will make more current flow in the battery and the added resistor, but that has no effect on whatever else is connected to the source, that stuff will just see the applied voltage.

Special One said:
So, you mean that R5 & R7 are in parallel?
No, they are in series. This saves you the trouble of delta-star transformation. But your method also works.

If you are asked to find the equivalent resistance of a circuit between any two terminals, say x and y, what you are actually doing is find the resistance "seen" by a voltage source connected between x and y.
Connect a voltage source of emf (E) between x and y, measure the current (I) supplied by the voltage source, then E/I gives you the equivalent resistance between x and y.

What do you get when you do that in your final circuit schematic?

guys, I came up with this answer I don't know if it's correct or not. Tell me your opinions!
Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 05.00.13.png

##R_{th}## looks right to me although you're really drawing a lot of attention to ## R_4 \parallel (R_5+R_7)##

Joshy said:
##R_{th}## looks right to me although you're really drawing a lot of attention to ## R_4 \parallel (R_5+R_7)##

but I'm stuck with Vth. Do you have any idea?

I don't see any obvious shortcuts. I tried it with a mesh you have two loops and you already know the current of one of them. Get the voltages across each element and call that node between ##R_4## and ##E##... call it your reference (ground).

circuit.png

Last edited:

What is Thevenin's Theorem and how does it work?

Thevenin's Theorem is a fundamental principle in electrical circuit analysis that states that any linear circuit can be represented by an equivalent voltage source and series resistance. This equivalent circuit is known as the Thevenin equivalent circuit and can be used to simplify complex circuits and analyze their behavior.

How do you use transformations to find the equivalent resistance in a circuit?

To use transformations to find the equivalent resistance in a circuit, you first need to identify the load resistance and the open circuit voltage. Then, you can use a series of transformations, such as Thevenin's Theorem, to simplify the circuit and find the equivalent resistance. This involves replacing the load resistance with a voltage source and series resistance, and then using other techniques such as voltage division and current division to calculate the equivalent resistance.

What are the benefits of using Thevenin's Theorem to find the equivalent resistance?

Thevenin's Theorem allows for the simplification of complex circuits, making them easier to analyze and understand. It also allows for the calculation of the equivalent resistance without having to physically measure it, which can be difficult and time-consuming in some cases.

Are there any limitations to Thevenin's Theorem?

Yes, Thevenin's Theorem is only applicable to linear circuits, meaning that the relationship between voltage and current must be linear. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady state, meaning that all transient effects have dissipated.

Can Thevenin's Theorem be used for circuits with dependent sources?

Yes, Thevenin's Theorem can be applied to circuits with dependent sources. However, the dependent source must be transformed into an equivalent independent source before applying the theorem. This can be done using techniques such as source transformation or superposition.