What is the direction of energy transfer in polarised light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of polarization in light and how it differs between normal polarized light and polarization by reflection. It is clarified that the oscillations in both cases are in one plane, but in the case of reflection, they are perpendicular to the direction of energy transfer. The speaker also suggests clarifying what is meant by "direction of energy transfer."
ravsterphysics

Homework Statement

Okay so this is a concept that I've been having a lot of problems with recently. I watched a few youtube vids to clear things up so now I'd like to make sure my notes are right.

1) For normal polarised light, the oscillations of a wave are in one plane only which include the direction of the energy transfer.

2) Whereas for polarisation by reflection, the oscillations are also in one plane but they are perpendicular to the direction of energy transfer.

Are these two statements correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
ravsterphysics said:

Homework Statement

Okay so this is a concept that I've been having a lot of problems with recently. I watched a few youtube vids to clear things up so now I'd like to make sure my notes are right.

1) For normal polarised light, the oscillations of a wave are in one plane only which include the direction of the energy transfer.

2) Whereas for polarisation by reflection, the oscillations are also in one plane but they are perpendicular to the direction of energy transfer.

Are these two statements correct?
In both cases I think you are referring to a ray diagram for reflection from a mirror. Case 1 is polarised in the plane of the paper and case 2 at right angles to the plane of the paper ie sticking up. So I think you need to clarify what you mean by "direction of energy transfer".

1. What is the definition of polarisation of light?

Polarisation of light refers to the phenomenon where light waves vibrate in a specific direction, rather than in all directions. This results in the light being restricted to a single plane of oscillation.

2. How does polarisation of light occur?

Polarisation of light occurs when light waves reflect or pass through a polarising filter, which only allows light waves vibrating in a certain direction to pass through. This causes the light to become polarised in a specific direction.

3. What is the difference between linear and circular polarisation?

Linear polarisation refers to light waves vibrating in a single plane, while circular polarisation refers to light waves vibrating in a circular motion. Linear polarisation can be further divided into horizontal and vertical polarisation, while circular polarisation can be clockwise or counterclockwise.

4. How is polarisation of light used in everyday life?

Polarisation of light has various applications in everyday life, such as in sunglasses to reduce glare, in 3D glasses to create the illusion of depth, and in LCD screens to control the intensity of light passing through.

5. Can all types of light be polarised?

No, only light waves that have a transverse nature, such as electromagnetic waves, can be polarised. This includes light waves from the visible spectrum, as well as radio waves, microwaves, and X-rays.