This hurricane Harvey/Irma is nuts

In summary, The Houston area is experiencing severe flooding due to Hurricane Harvey, with many people in need of assistance. There are also concerns about the potential impact of a future hurricane on the Southeast Atlantic coast. In addition to the flooding, there are also reports of alligators potentially escaping and fire ants causing problems. Many animals in the area are likely confused and displaced by the extreme weather conditions.
DS2C
This is a picture my buddy sent me. There is an interstate underneath all this water.
Anyone in Texas, be safe!

Attachments

• IMG_3699.PNG
    IMG_3699.PNG
    18.2 KB · Views: 705
Likes DrClaude, scottdave and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
The stories coming out of the Houston area are chilling. I hate to see the misery, but cheer on the heroic acts of those putting themselves in danger to assist people in need.

Likes BillTre, OmCheeto and scottdave
My mother and youngest sister live there, still trying to find out how they are.

Likes OmCheeto and scottdave
A local meteorologist said today that in about 10 days time, the SE Atlantic coast of the U.S. could be threatened by a category 4-5 hurricane. That's a long way out, but it still caught my attention. The model he is using is the same one that predicted very accurately what Hurricane Harvey did. My heart goes out to the folks affected in SE Texas.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The stories coming out of the Houston area are chilling. I hate to see the misery, but cheer on the heroic acts of those putting themselves in danger to assist people in need.
There are some good people coming out of the works for sure. Wish I could be there to help.

Evo said:
My mother and youngest sister live there, still trying to find out how they are.
Really hope they're okay. I've heard it's hard to contact people for many reasons such as communication lines, or they lost their phones in the muck. My buddy is in the fire department further south but fire and rescue and other relief organizations and citizens are working non stop.

MarkFL said:
A local meteorologist said today that in about 10 days time, the SE Atlantic coast of the U.S. could be threatened by a category 4-5 hurricane. That's a long way out, but it still caught my attention. The model he is using is the same one that predicted very accurately what Hurricane Harvey did. My heart goes out to the folks affected in SE Texas.
Is this a separate one? I've heard Harvey might double back to where it came from as well.

MarkFL said:
A local meteorologist said today that in about 10 days time, the SE Atlantic coast of the U.S. could be threatened by a category 4-5 hurricane.
Harvey was cat 4. I think it also depends on the elevations of the east coast. Have you been through a hurricane in St. Augustine, FL.?

berkeman said:
And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...

Meh, I say let them be free :smile:

MarkFL said:
Irma: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
Official predictions only go out to 5 days though, and it won't be that serious or near by then.

I STILL simply can't get my mind around the concept of 50 INCHES ! of rain falling in a few days. I mean that sounds practically biblical.

Likes OmCheeto
Greg Bernhardt said:
Harvey was cat 4. I think it also depends on the elevations of the east coast. Have you been through a hurricane in St. Augustine, FL.?

I've been here over 30 years, and we haven't had a direct hit here during that time. Hurricane Frances in 2004 knocked out my power for over 3 weeks, and Hurricane Matthew last year brushed by our coast and knocked out my power for 3 days and dumped enough water (10 inches) that we had a six week plague of mosquitoes afterwards. But, I've been through nothing like the folks in the Houston area are experiencing.

MarkFL said:
A local meteorologist said today that in about 10 days time, the SE Atlantic coast of the U.S. could be threatened by a category 4-5 hurricane.

keep an eye on this It's in a bad place - doesn't have to cross Cuba or Hispaniola where the big hills break them up.
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/goes-e/goes-catl-ir.html
NextHarvey2.jpg

old jim

Likes BillTre
berkeman said:
And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...

http://kron4.com/2017/08/29/more-th...texas-flood-waters-approach-height-of-fences/

Wow! On the Houston news, they warned that there may be displace gators coming into residential areas. I assume they were talking about wild gators that were force to move away from their habitat due to storm surge or flooding. The kicker is that they thought important to tell us "Do not approach or try to feed a gator in your neighborhood". o_O

Evo said:
On Facebook, there is a page for Harvey, where people can mark themselves as Safe, or needing help (or people who can offer help). It is pretty cool. There may be other website/service to check on people, but I am not aware.

Likes BillTre and berkeman
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/....html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20170830
Watch where you put your foot down.

These must be a different breed - native to S.America? the article said. An invasive species.
The prairies of Canada years ago had/has what we called fire ants - large ( a little more than a 1/4 inch long ) and black/orange color. I do not know what they had for a defense mechanism for colony survival in a flood would be.

All the critters down there birds, mammals, insects, reptiles, would have to be a little bit confused as to what is going on.

phinds said:
I STILL simply can't get my mind around the concept of 50 INCHES ! of rain falling in a few days. I mean that sounds practically biblical.
I know. Where I live, I decided to make my own rain gauge out of a Tupperware style plastic container. The sides were practically vertical an it was about 6 inches tall. It fit nicely into a cinder block, so I was fairly certain that it wouldn't blow away (it did not). I didn't start until 5 pm on Saturday the 26th, though. The next morning when I woke up at 7:30 it was at the brim. I had not planned on that. I dumped it and kept recording into a spreadsheet.
For the rest of that day, it was fairly constant rate of 0.5 inch per hour, so I went back and estimated an extra inch for the first time period.
The rate slowed down some on Monday, and eventually stopped. My last reading at 6 PM Tuesday, gave a total of 25.125 inches. I wish I had started measuring earlier, when the rain first started.

Our house did not flood. Our garage had flooded in previous storms (about 7 inches one time) , so I made my own levy out of 40 pound bags of topsoil (they were out of sandbags). It turned out that this was less expensive for the necessary volume.

256bits said:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/....html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20170830
Watch where you put your foot down.

These must be a different breed - native to S.America? the article said. An invasive species.

All the critters down there birds, mammals, insects, reptiles, would have to be a little bit confused as to what is going on.
I have seen the floating clusters in floodwater. I did not know how they did it, till now. The attack mode sounds about right. It was an interesting article. I was not aware about the South American origin. In general, it looks like the animals seem to take care of themselves.

scottdave said:
I have seen the floating clusters in floodwater. I did not know how they did it, till now. The attack mode sounds about right. It was an interesting article. I was not aware about the South American origin. In general, it looks like the animals seem to take care of themselves.

We have fire ants here in Florida, and from what I recall, they were introduced into the U.S. by a ship that traveled from South America to a Mississippi River port in Alabama around 1938 or so. They have since spread throughout the SE U.S., and are adapting to colder climates to move ever northward. I read recently that they are now as far north as southern Indiana.

Oh MY God.
Worse to come, but when - chemical fire(s).
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/explosions-reported-at-chemical-plant-that-lost-power/ar-AAr0X4U?li=AAggv0m&OCID=ansmsnnews11

Looks like the storms are building up again. Possible tropical depression formation south of Texas that is expected to drift north. Plus, Tropical Storm Irma will be is a hurricane tomorrow now and is expected to be a major hurricane by Sunday tomorrow. It's headed straight for the leeward islands which will of course put it right in the Carribean to wreak havoc on some unlucky coastline.
8-31-17Atl.png

Irma.png

Last edited:
Evo said:
My niece, her husband, and 3 children live there. It was like pulling teeth to find out their situation.
Everyone is ok, and their house is apparently not flooded.

Having never been to Houston, and not being a "media" watcher, I've been fascinated by the situation, and have been doing lots of maths.
I also got sucked into a "social experiment" in the last couple of days. That was really enlightening/entertaining:

If a man and a woman both post the same thing on social media; "Why are people building in flood plains?" (we are/were both clueless armchair quarterbacks, btw)
The man will get 25 "Frowns" and 9 "Likes", while the woman will get 191 "Likes" and only 17 "Frowns".​

ps. The maths is really interesting too: "Holy cow! They really did get trillions of gallons dropped on them. And that river by my niece's house would take over 100 days to "drain the pond" at that rate."
I would share the data, but I'm really bad at science.

Finally!
I've been getting a lot of conflicting stories regarding historical flooding in Houston. This article answers most all of my questions:

Future Flood Control: Time To Buy And Bulldoze Houston's Most Flooded Homes
AUG 30, 2017 @ 10:48 PM

I thought this was interesting: “...For example, a house built in 1969 that has had sixteen claims under the National Flood Insurance Program totaling $1.3 million, was purchased at a total cost of $129,000, resulting in estimated avoided damages in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.”

I'm also curious how common this is in the rest of the country.

OmCheeto said:
If a man and a woman both post the same thing on social media; "Why are people building in flood plains?" (we are/were both clueless armchair quarterbacks, btw)
The man will get 25 "Frowns" and 9 "Likes", while the woman will get 191 "Likes" and only 17 "Frowns".
social experiment you say...
I wonder what the Likes/Frowns would be for a "How do I change a flat tire on my car?"
Betcha a Like/Frown the results would be similar.
sliding off the Hurricane Harvey discussion, but the social experiment just tweaked my mind that way.

OmCheeto said:
The man will get 25 "Frowns" and 9 "Likes", while the woman will get 191 "Likes" and only 17 "Frowns".

History of NFIP here
https://www.nap.edu/read/21709/chapter/4

basically it's welfare for insurance industry

In practice, at the end of each year the federal Treasury would make a subsidy payment to the pool equal to the difference between the revenue that would have been earned from sale of NFIP risk-based premiums and the premium charged for existing properties..
FEMA moved to implement the NFIP without a private risk-sharing partner. Instead, it engaged private “write your own” (WYO) companies to act as NFIP policy servicing agents. The WYO program allowed insurance companies to sell and manage flood insurance policies in their own names, which encouraged sales. The companies also would process claims but would not bear any risk or set rates.

OmCheeto said:
I thought this was interesting: “...For example, a house built in 1969 that has had sixteen claims under the National Flood Insurance Program totaling $1.3 million, was purchased at a total cost of $129,000, resulting in estimated avoided damages in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.”

I'm also curious how common this is in the rest of the country.

Read this Science news article this morning, which was republished from ProPublica, which dealt with this subject.
There are many economic and other forces opposed to this, but there is this case:
"New York City has been pursuing targeted purchases and acquisitions in some of the city’s most flood-prone spots, building on similar buyouts undertaken by the state. The purchases include the entire community of Oakwood Beach, a Staten Island coastal neighborhood submerged by Hurricane Sandy’s surge in October, 2012."​

256bits said:
social experiment you say...
I wonder what the Likes/Frowns would be for a "How do I change a flat tire on my car?"
Betcha a Like/Frown the results would be similar.
sliding off the Hurricane Harvey discussion, but the social experiment just tweaked my mind that way.
I found it mostly entertaining, as it reminded me of that old saying; "If a man says something in the forest, and there's no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"

jim hardy said:
History of NFIP here
https://www.nap.edu/read/21709/chapter/4

basically it's welfare for insurance industry
Thanks! Welfare for industries has always raised one of my eyebrows.

BillTre said:
Read this Science news article this morning, which was republished from ProPublica, which dealt with this subject.
There are many economic and other forces opposed to this, but there is this case:
"New York City has been pursuing targeted purchases and acquisitions in some of the city’s most flood-prone spots, building on similar buyouts undertaken by the state. The purchases include the entire community of Oakwood Beach, a Staten Island coastal neighborhood submerged by Hurricane Sandy’s surge in October, 2012."

Excellent article. One line in there; "It took that third blow to prompt the municipality in 2014 to bolster its building codes, said Simmons, ..."
kind of reminds me of the "social experiment" situation I referred to earlier. The target woman of the article said this was the third time in 3 years her house had flooded. Which is where I believe the lady from San Francisco and I assumed she was living in a flood plain. I believe somewhere else, it stated that it hadn't flooded there in 60 years prior to this recent round of flooding events.

Likes WWGD
We just barely escaped the wrath of wet drywall, trim and cabinets. The images are as high up as it got. Receding now.

Have to give the builder of subdivision a lot of credit for knowing floodplain in relation to Addicks reservoir spillover worst-case scenario (other than the dam being washed away). Similar story for most every other home in the area. Just repainted 1st floor over the winter too. What a relief!

Attachments

• IMG_909611_2.jpg
    IMG_909611_2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_904211_2.jpg
    IMG_904211_2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 453
Wow! That is so much water. A+++ to whoever built that home.

Not just one house; similar story for most of subdivision plus a few nearby subs. We're talking around a few hundred homes northeastern edge of Addicks reservoir. Cutting it close, though

Greg Bernhardt said:
Irma now Cat 5
And headed straight for the warmer waters of the gulf. :eek:

It looks like it may turn north before entering the Gulf:

irma_9-5-17.jpg