This is an invalid argument about eigenvalues, but why?

In summary, the conversation discusses the fallacy of generating eigenvalues by using an incorrect algebraic approach. The mistake is pointed out and acknowledged, leading to the conclusion that the eigenvalue for the eigenvector kv is actually ak^-1. The conversation ends with gratitude towards the helpful and patient responses from the community.
nomadreid
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
The following argument is obviously wrong somewhere. If a is an eigenvector for the matrix M, then for each of its eigenvectors v, Mv=av. But then for any nonzero k, M(k*v)= (a/k)(k*v), so that for M, a/k is an eigenvector for the eigenvector k*v. This would lead to the absurdity that if an eigenvalue exists, then everything is an eigenvalue for the matrix.
The fallacy in the summary is not covered in the sites discussing eigenvalues, so there must be something blindingly and embarrassingly obvious that is wrong. I would be grateful if someone would point it out. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what you did there. If ##v## is an eigenvector of eigenvalue ##a##, then ##M(kv) = k(Mv) = k(av) = a(kv)## which means that ##kv## is also an eigenvector of the same eigenvalue ##a##.

Likes nomadreid and PeroK
ergospherical, thanks for the quick reply. Yes, your equations are correct showing that kv would also be an eigenvector of a, but this just says that an eigenvalue will have an infinite number of eigenvectors. However, I am saying (somehow incorrectly) that a/k would be another eigenvalue of kv. Let me restate my (faulty) argument: let kv = w, and let a/k = b. Then Mw=bw. (because Mv=av). That is, b is an eigenvalue of M, different to a (and with a different eigenvector, but that is beside the point). But I shouldn't be able to generate eigenvalues like this.

nomadreid said:
Let me restate my (faulty) argument: let kv = w, and let a/k = b. Then Mw=bw. (because Mv=av). That is, b is an eigenvalue of M, different to a (and with a different eigenvector, but that is beside the point). But I shouldn't be able to generate eigenvalues like this.
You're just messing up the algebra and introducing an extraneous factor of ##k## for some reason. ##Mv=av \implies M(kv) = a(kv) \implies Mw = aw##.

Likes nomadreid and PeroK
ergospherical, I thank you very much for your patience. I see my error (and not sure why I didn't see it before -- but that is often the case with silly mistakes,no?). I am grateful that you answered rather than simply dismissing it as silly. Thread can thus be closed and forgotten.

Likes ergospherical
nomadreid said:
But then for any nonzero k, M(k*v)= (a/k)(k*v), so that for M, a/k is an eigenvector for the eigenvector k*v.
Aside from the error already pointed out, the above should read "an eigenvalue for the eigenvector kv."

Likes nomadreid
Mark44, oops, thanks for pointing that typo out... more egg on my face...o:)

You showed that ##kv## is an eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue ##ak^{-1}##.

Likes nomadreid
Thank you, nuuskur. That is indeed what I inadvertently proved instead of what I set out to do; very embarrassing basic error. :sorry:Thankfully, the people at Physics Forums are a nice group that don't rub it in.

1. What are eigenvalues?

Eigenvalues are a concept in linear algebra that represent the scalar values associated with a square matrix. They are important in understanding the behavior and properties of linear transformations and systems of equations.

2. Why is this argument about eigenvalues invalid?

This argument may be invalid because it may not be based on sound logic or may make assumptions that are not necessarily true. It is important to carefully evaluate arguments about mathematical concepts like eigenvalues to ensure their validity.

3. Can you provide an example of an invalid argument about eigenvalues?

An example of an invalid argument about eigenvalues could be stating that all matrices with real eigenvalues are symmetric, which is not necessarily true. This statement ignores the existence of complex eigenvalues and non-symmetric matrices with real eigenvalues.

4. How can I determine if an argument about eigenvalues is valid?

To determine the validity of an argument about eigenvalues, it is important to carefully examine the assumptions made and the logical steps taken. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of the properties and concepts related to eigenvalues.

5. Are eigenvalues important in any other fields besides linear algebra?

Yes, eigenvalues have applications in many fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. They are used to solve various problems and model systems in these fields.