Threaded Inserts - Standard Thread or Acme Thread?

In summary, the project requires a threaded insert to be placed inside a steel piece for a threaded rod to move through. The original person working on the project wanted Acme threading on the inside of the insert and standard threading on the outside. However, there are concerns about the strength of the inside thread and whether it needs to be made of the same material as the outside thread. Another engineer suggests using a material with lower friction to avoid binding. If a suitable threaded insert cannot be found, it may be necessary to have one custom-made or redesign the project.
Meesh Bono
I have taken over a project halfway through (which is never an easy thing), and I need to get a threaded insert to place inside a steel piece that a threaded rod will move through. The original person working on the project wanted to get Acme threading on the inside of the insert and standard threading on the outside of the insert. The rod has Acme threading and is made from carbon steel.

I am wondering why the insert needs to have Acme threading on the inside though? The original guy thought it would be able to withstand more force, but if the outside thread is standard thread than does it really matter what the inside thread is? If the outside thread can only take so much force before it fails then it won't matter how much force the inside thread can take right?

Is there a force equation I can use to calculate when the threading will fail on the inside and outside of the insert? Maybe I can get a standard threading on both sides of the insert instead of trying to find a custom product.

Also, I've had another engineer tell me the insert should be made of bronze because he thinks the assembly will bind. But I thought the insert should be made from the same material as the main parts and the threaded rod (which is steel or carbon steel).

Any advice will help, I'm an electrical engineering student with a mechanical job!

Thank you!
Meesh

Engineering news on Phys.org
Meesh Bono said:
If the outside thread can only take so much force before it fails then it won't matter how much force the inside thread can take right?

The inside thread is of a smaller diameter so will have greater stress.

Presumably ACME thread is being used as it's a lead screw and standard thread won't meet the spec. Low friction is important for lead-screws hence your fellow engineers suggestion of selecting a material with lower friction.

If you can't find what you need need off the shelf you could have them made or redesign.

Uh ... from what I've seen of the Road Runner cartoons, I'd be real careful about those Acme products :D

Likes billy_joule
billy_joule said:
The inside thread is of a smaller diameter so will have greater stress.

Presumably ACME thread is being used as it's a lead screw and standard thread won't meet the spec. Low friction is important for lead-screws hence your fellow engineers suggestion of selecting a material with lower friction.

If you can't find what you need need off the shelf you could have them made or redesign.

I've called many places looking for this part or someone that can make it, but no luck! If anyone knows of a company that makes ACME threaded inserts please share with me!

1. What is the difference between standard thread and Acme thread?

Standard thread and Acme thread are two different types of threading systems used for threaded inserts. Standard thread follows the Unified Thread Standard (UTS) and has a 60-degree angle, while Acme thread follows the Acme thread form and has a 29-degree angle.

2. Which type of thread is stronger, standard or Acme?

In general, Acme thread is considered to be stronger than standard thread due to its larger thread depth and thicker thread walls. However, the specific strength of a threaded insert will depend on various factors such as material and design.

3. Can standard and Acme threaded inserts be used interchangeably?

No, standard and Acme threaded inserts cannot be used interchangeably. The threading systems are different, and attempting to use a standard threaded insert in an Acme threaded hole or vice versa can result in damaged threads or a weak joint.

4. What are the advantages of using Acme threaded inserts?

Acme threaded inserts have a larger contact area and deeper thread depth, making them more resistant to stripping and wear. They are also better suited for heavy-duty applications and can handle higher loads compared to standard threaded inserts.

5. How do I choose between standard thread and Acme thread for my project?

The choice between standard thread and Acme thread will depend on your specific application and requirements. Standard thread may be more suitable for lighter loads and applications where precision is important, while Acme thread is better for heavy-duty applications and those requiring high strength and wear resistance.