Threads are marked as unread when I close the browser

• Thread starter Fredrik
  • Start date
In summary, there is an issue with subscribed threads being marked as unread when using Firefox and opening/closing threads. The issue is not a major inconvenience for some users. Other users also experience this issue, possibly due to using multiple browsers. However, the issue has been present for a long time and does not significantly impact user experience.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When I start up my browser (Firefox) and go to my subscribed threads page, there are usually a few that are marked as unread. If I open those threads, and then go back to the subscribed threads page, they're marked as read (i.e. they are no longer bold). If I now close the browser, start it up again, and go back to the subscribed threads page, they're marked as unread again.

It's a little bit annoying, but not really a big deal. I'm just wondering if other people have the same problem, and if there's an easy fix.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get this one too though not always. I'll have to pay attention from now on to see when exactly this happens. (I use different browsers depending on the kinds of websites I visit, but I sometimes forget to switch)

I've been having this 'problem' for a long time. It doesn't really bother me though.

1. Why are my threads marked as unread when I close the browser?

This can happen for a few reasons. One possibility is that your browser's cookies are not enabled or are being cleared when you close the browser. This can cause the website to not recognize that you have already read the threads. Another possibility is that the website's automatic refresh feature is turned on, which could be causing the threads to be marked as unread when the page is refreshed.

2. How can I prevent my threads from being marked as unread?

If you are experiencing this issue, there are a few steps you can try. First, make sure your browser's cookies are enabled and not being cleared when you close the browser. You can also try disabling the automatic refresh feature on the website, if it has one. Another solution is to log out of the website before closing the browser, as this will typically prevent your threads from being marked as unread.

3. Is there a way to manually mark threads as read?

Yes, most websites have a feature that allows you to mark threads as read. This can usually be found by clicking on the thread and selecting an option such as "Mark as read" or "Mark as read and return to forum". This will manually update the website's database and should prevent the thread from being marked as unread when you close the browser.

4. Could this be a bug on the website?

While it is possible that this issue could be caused by a bug on the website, it is more likely that it is a result of a setting or feature that is enabled on your browser or the website itself. If you have tried the solutions mentioned above and are still experiencing the issue, you may want to contact the website's support team for further assistance.

5. Will my threads remain marked as unread if I log back in from a different browser or device?

This will depend on the website's settings and how it handles cookies and browser sessions. If the website uses a persistent login system, your threads should remain marked as read even if you log in from a different browser or device. However, if the website does not use a persistent login or if cookies are not enabled, your threads may still be marked as unread when you log in from a different browser or device.