Three blocks missing one mass

In summary, three blocks rest on a frictionless horizontal table. A horizontal force F is applied and the acceleration of all three blocks is found to be 3.4 m/s2. The magnitude of the normal force between blocks 2 and 3 is found to be 1.22 N.
bradsmith
So I was sick last week for 3 classes and I really missed something and don't know what I am doing.

Three blocks rest on a frictionless, horizontal table (see figure below), with m1 = 6 kg and m3 = 14 kg. A horizontal force F = 111 N is applied to block 1, and the acceleration of all three blocks is found to be 3.4 m/s2

(a) Find m2.

For this I got M2=12kg It was wrong
I did F=ma for both blocks
F=6x3.4=20.4
F=14x3.4=47.6
111-20.4-47.6=42.6
42.6/3.4=12

I think I have to use gravity 9.8?

(b) What is the magnitude of the normal force between blocks 2 and 3?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bradsmith,

For part (a), because the 3 blocks are touching each other, they really just act like one mass, so the way you are splitting up the forces is not correct. Your formula should actually be F=(m1+m2+m3)*a. Make sense?

You would only have to use gravity in this type of problem if there was friction involved, but in this case there is none.

Now for part (b), you want to ask yourself what force needs to be applied to block 3 in order for it to travel 3.4 m/s2.

See if that helps.

Likes 1 person
tjmiller88 said:
Hi bradsmith,

For part (a), because the 3 blocks are touching each other, they really just act like one mass, so the way you are splitting up the forces is not correct. Your formula should actually be F=(m1+m2+m3)*a. Make sense?
It is no problem to split up the forces like that.

The problem is just in the calculations. bradsmith: check your numbers and you'll find the error.

Ok F=(m1+m2+m3)xa
111=(6+m2+14)X3.4
111=(m2+20)x3.4
111=3.4m+68
111-68=3.4m
43/3.4m=12.64

is b 90.57
F=a(m2+m3)
F=3.4(12.64+14)
F=90.57
Thanks for not giving me the answer, I learn better by doing it.
I think I did something wrong again

Why did you add masses 2 and 3 for (b)?
You didn't attach the figure, but I guess the masses are in the order "1 2 3" and the force acts at block 1. So the force between 2 and 3 just have to accelerate block 3.

Thanks for not giving me the answer, I learn better by doing it.
That's a forum rule for exactly this reason :).

Yes it force is applied to 1 and is in order as 123. so that means add all 3
6+12.64+14+32.64
f/m=a
111/32.64=3.4
so its 32.64?

Im not sure why I did it that way. I thought because I only needed 2 and 3 that was the way to do it.

What is 32.64 now?
And what are its units?
I thought because I only needed 2 and 3 that was the way to do it.
What do you mean with "needed"?

Let me start over.
Three blocks rest on a frictionless, horizontal table (see figure below), with m1 = 6 kg and m3 = 14 kg. A horizontal force F = 111 N is applied to block 1, and the acceleration of all three blocks is found to be 3.4 m/s2

all 3 blocks are side by side F--->123

(a) Find m2

F=(m1+m2+m3)xa
111N=(6kg+m2+14kg)X3.4m/s2
111N=(m2+20kg)x3.4m/s2
111N=3.4m+68kg
111N-68=3.4m/s2
43N/3.4m/s2=12.64kg

(b) What is the magnitude of the normal force between blocks 2 and 3?
F=ma
111=(m1+m2)a
111=26.64*3.4
111/90.57=1.22I don't know what the other stuff is from

Last edited:
bradsmith said:
F=ma
111=(m1+m2)a
Is that true? Do you use a force of 111 N just to accelerate blocks 1 and 2?
111=26.64*3.4
3=5?
111/90.57=1.22
Randomly mixing numbers does not help.

Forget about blocks 1 and 2 for a while. Which forces act on block 3? What acceleration results from those forces?

NVM I got it. F=ma
F=14kg*3.4m/s2
F=47.6

Thanks everyone.

1. How does the missing mass affect the overall weight of the three blocks?

The missing mass will affect the overall weight of the three blocks by reducing it. Each block has a certain weight, and when one mass is missing, the total weight will be less than the combined weight of the three blocks.

2. What is the impact of the missing mass on the stability of the three blocks?

The missing mass can significantly impact the stability of the three blocks. Without the missing mass, the blocks may have been evenly distributed and stable. However, the missing mass can cause the blocks to become unbalanced and potentially topple over.

3. How does the position of the missing mass affect the overall structure of the three blocks?

The position of the missing mass can greatly affect the overall structure of the three blocks. If the missing mass is in a key location, it can cause the blocks to collapse or become unstable. However, if the missing mass is in a less critical location, the structure may still hold, but it may not be as strong or stable as before.

4. What factors can contribute to a mass being missing from the three blocks?

There are several factors that can contribute to a mass being missing from the three blocks. Some possible reasons could include human error, such as misplacing or forgetting a block, or external factors such as a natural disaster or accident that caused one of the blocks to be lost.

5. What are some potential consequences of having a missing mass in the three blocks?

There are various consequences that can occur due to a missing mass in the three blocks. These may include a decrease in overall weight and stability, changes in the structure or design of the blocks, and potential safety hazards if the blocks are used for a specific purpose. It is important to identify and address the missing mass to avoid any potential negative consequences.