Three pithballs are suspended from thin threads

• Thread starter wrthwrld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Threads
In summary, the conversation discussed the results of an experiment where three pithballs were charged by touching them with different objects. It was observed that pithballs 1 and 2 attracted each other while pithballs 2 and 3 repelled each other. From this, it can be concluded that pithballs 1 and 3 carry charges of opposite signs, and further experiments are needed to determine the sign of the charges. The conversation also mentioned that even an uncharged body can be attracted by a charged body.
wrthwrld
a) Three pithballs are suspended from thin threads.Various objects are then rubbed against other
objects (nylon against silk, glass against polyester, etc.) and each of the pithballs is charged by
touching them with one of these objects. It is found that pithballs 1 and 2 attract each other and
that pithballs 2 and 3 repel each other. From this we can conclude that:
1. 1 and 3 carry charges of opposite sign .
2. 1 and 3 carry charges of equal sign .
3. All three carry the charges of the same sign .
4. One of the objects carries no charge .
5. We need to do more experiments to determine the sign of the charges .

^so i know opposite charges attract and negative charges repel

i chose 1 and 5 to be correct choices because I imagine the sequence of charges to be:
+ - - or - + +

is there a possible way to determine the sign of the charges?
I'd like to be reassured or told what is wrong with my reasoning

Physics news on Phys.org
Even an uncharged body is attracted by a charged body.

Related to Three pithballs are suspended from thin threads

1. What is the purpose of suspending pithballs from thin threads in an experiment?

The purpose of suspending pithballs from thin threads is to study the principles of electrostatics, specifically the behavior of charged objects in an electric field.

2. How do the pithballs become charged in this experiment?

The pithballs become charged by rubbing them against a material, such as a piece of fur or silk. This creates a transfer of electrons, causing the pithballs to become either positively or negatively charged.

3. What is the significance of using three pithballs in this experiment?

Using three pithballs allows for the comparison of the behavior of differently charged objects in an electric field. It also allows for the observation of the interaction between the pithballs themselves.

4. What factors can affect the movement of the pithballs in this experiment?

The movement of the pithballs can be affected by the strength of the electric field, the charge of the pithballs, and the length of the threads. Other external factors, such as air currents, can also impact the movement of the pithballs.

5. What conclusions can be drawn from the results of this experiment?

The results of this experiment can provide insights into the behavior of charged objects in an electric field. It can also help to understand the principles of electrostatics and how they apply to everyday objects and phenomena.