Time average in a continuum probability distribution

In summary: Area/length = heightIf you compute the total area (variable height) and divide by the total length, you get the average height You're not summing up values with a definitive step size, the step size is dt, which is infintesimal, you're thinking of a riemann sum, which is the precurser to the integral. The integral is exact.OK I think I am understanding it better, thanks! I have on more question.
ricard.py

Homework Statement

I have a question that looks so stupid that I have never dared to ask.
If I want to measure the time average from t=0s to t=1s of a given f(t), the solution is compute the following integral:

TA = 1/T*∫F(t)dt

However, I have some doubts about this calculus.

Homework Equations

1) An integral computes an area under the curve. I am not really interested in computing an area, I just want the summation of the f(T) values along the interval. So, what does an area do here?

2) The integral sum up a lot of values which depend on the step size h. Assuming that we selected h=0.0001 (very close to 0), the total number of summations is 1/0.0001=10000. However, you only normalize the integral by 1 (1/T). Why is that? In a discrete probability distribution, I would have normalized by the number of added values.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Area/length = height

If you compute the total area (variable height) and divide by the total length, you get the average height

You're not summing up values with a definitive step size, the step size is dt, which is infintesimal, you're thinking of a riemann sum, which is the precurser to the integral. The integral is exact.

Likes 1 person
Maybe this illustration will help.

Attachments

• T(-1)_x_f(t).png
    T(-1)_x_f(t).png
    1.6 KB · Views: 358
1) When you are dividing by ##T##, which is the change in time, you are obtaining the "time average" of the given ##f(t)## over the interval.

2) ##dt## is the infinitesimally small time width. The integral is the summation of the ##f(t)## over a suitable partition as ##n → ∞##.

Likes 1 person
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Area/length = height

If you compute the total area (variable height) and divide by the total length, you get the average height

You're not summing up values with a definitive step size, the step size is dt, which is infintesimal, you're thinking of a riemann sum, which is the precurser to the integral. The integral is exact.
OK I think I am understanding it better, thanks! I have on more question. The surface calculated with an integral is usually not a rectangle such that area = length*height. However, I suppose that what you can do is "rearrange" the surface keeping the area constant and making it look like a rectangle, and then you apply the area/length=height. However, how can you be sure that the height is actually the AVERAGE time?

ricard.py said:

Homework Statement

I have a question that looks so stupid that I have never dared to ask.
If I want to measure the time average from t=0s to t=1s of a given f(t), the solution is compute the following integral:

TA = 1/T*∫F(t)dt

However, I have some doubts about this calculus.

Homework Equations

1) An integral computes an area under the curve.
This is NOT true. "Area under the curve" is one application of the integral. Essentially the integral is a "continuous sum". Just as the average of a finite number of data points is the sum divided by the number of points, so the average of a continuous function is its "sum" (integral) divided by the length of the interval.

I am not really interested in computing an area, I just want the summation of the f(T) values along the interval. So, what does an area do here?

2) The integral sum up a lot of values which depend on the step size h. Assuming that we selected h=0.0001 (very close to 0), the total number of summations is 1/0.0001=10000. However, you only normalize the integral by 1 (1/T). Why is that? In a discrete probability distribution, I would have normalized by the number of added values.
This also is NOT true. The sum of "a lot of values which depend on step size h" is an approximation to the integral. The integral is the limit of that as h goes to 0- and so the number of steps, your "number of added values" goes to infinity.

1. What is a time average in a continuum probability distribution?

A time average in a continuum probability distribution is the average value of a variable over a period of time. It takes into account all the different values of the variable during that time period and calculates the average value.

2. How is a time average calculated in a continuum probability distribution?

To calculate a time average, you need to integrate the variable over the entire time period and divide by the length of the time period. This gives you the average value of the variable over that time period.

3. Why is a time average important in a continuum probability distribution?

A time average is important because it gives a more accurate representation of the variable's behavior over time. It takes into account all the different values and fluctuations of the variable, rather than just focusing on a single point in time.

4. How does a time average differ from a spatial average in a continuum probability distribution?

A time average considers the variable's behavior over a period of time, while a spatial average considers the variable's behavior at a specific point in space. Time and space are two different dimensions, so the calculations for these averages are different.

5. Can a time average be used to predict future behavior in a continuum probability distribution?

Yes, a time average can be used to make predictions about future behavior in a continuum probability distribution. By analyzing the average values over a period of time, patterns and trends can be identified which can help make predictions about the variable's future behavior.