Time independent perturbation (Quantum Mechanics)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding energy corrections through the perturbation method and obtaining the exact results for the Hamiltonian. The speaker has found a discrepancy between the results obtained through perturbation theory and diagonalization, but eventually realizes that the perturbation method for degenerate cases to second order in the energies is the correct approach.
Telemachus
Hi there. I have to find the energy corrections through the perturbation method, and then give the exact result for the hamiltonian:

##H= \begin{pmatrix}
E_A & \epsilon & \epsilon & \epsilon \\
\epsilon & E_B & 0 & 0 \\
\epsilon & 0 & E_B & 0\\
\epsilon & 0 & 0 & E_B \\ \end{pmatrix} ##

So I've got:

##H=H_0+W= \begin{pmatrix} E_A & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & E_B& 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & E_B & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 0 & E_B \\ \end{pmatrix} + \begin{pmatrix}0 & \epsilon & \epsilon & \epsilon \\ \epsilon & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ \epsilon & 0 & 0 & 0\\ \epsilon & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ \end{pmatrix} ##

So, perturbation theory gives for the non degenerate energy:
##E_A(\epsilon)=E_A+ \left < A \right | W \left | A \right > + \sum_{i=1}^3 \displaystyle \frac{| \left < B_i \right | W \left | A \right > |^2}{E_A-E_B}=E_A+\frac{3\epsilon^2}{E_A-E_B} ##

Now, the matrix ##\hat W^n## corresponding to ##W## inside the eigensubspace generated by the B states gives me zero:
##\hat W^n=\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0& 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ \end{pmatrix}##

So I think there'll be no corrections in the ##E_B## energies. I'm not sure if this is right.

On the other side, I've tried to diagonalize the Hamiltonian, to get the exact values for the energies. But I've found some trouble. Basically I didn't get the energy that I've found before, ##E_A(\epsilon)## as one of the roots for the determinant of the Hamiltonian. I don't know if I've made a mistake at any step, or if I'm not getting this right.

This is what I have:

##H= \begin{pmatrix}
E_A & \epsilon & \epsilon & \epsilon \\
\epsilon & E_B & 0 & 0 \\
\epsilon & 0 & E_B & 0\\
\epsilon & 0 & 0 & E_B \\ \end{pmatrix} ##

So when I try to diagonalize this Hamiltonian, I get to this secular equation:

##-\epsilon^2(E_B-E_n(\epsilon))^2+(E_B-E_n(\epsilon))[(E_A-E_n(\epsilon))(E_B-E_n(\epsilon))^2-2\epsilon^2(E_B-E_n(\epsilon))]= \\ (E_B-E_n(\epsilon))^2[3\epsilon^2+(E_B-E_n(\epsilon))(E_A-E_n(\epsilon))]=0##

So I have a double root ##E_{1,2}(\epsilon)=E_B##, and then I solve the quadratic equation:

##3\epsilon^2+(E_B-E_n(\epsilon))(E_A-E_n(\epsilon))=3\epsilon^2+E_BE_A-En(\epsilon)(E_B+E_A)+E(\epsilon)_n^2=0 \: \: \displaystyle \left ( 1 \right )##

Then I get: ##E_{3,4}(\epsilon)=\displaystyle\frac{E_A+E_B±\sqrt{E_B^2+E_A^2-2E_AE_B -12\epsilon^2} }{2}=E_{3,4}(\epsilon)=\displaystyle\frac{E_A+E_B±\sqrt{(E_B-E_A)^2-12\epsilon^2} }{2}##

And this doesn't look like what I've found when using time independent perturbation theory.

Help please :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After thinking of this for a while I came to thought that perhaps I should try expanding the square root on ##E_{3,4}## in Taylor series. I'll try with that.

Any help, or suggestion will be appreciated.

Alright, I've found ##E_A## through the taylor expansion. And the correction for one of the ##E_B## which tells me that what I did before was wrong, when assuming there were no corrections on any ##E_B##, now I need to know how to get this right through the perturbation method. I usually get this through the diagonalization of the submatrix corresponding to the eigensubspace spanned by the degenerate states. But in this case in which that matrix is zero I'm not sure what I have to do. I'll see what I can do.

Ok, it's done. It was pretty obvious, I had to use perturbation method for degenerate case to second order in the energies.

From ##\displaystyle \left ( 1 \right )## its clear: ##E_{1,2}=E_B##

Also:
##If \: \epsilon<<E_A:
\sqrt{(E_B-E_A)^2-12\epsilon^2}\approx E_B-E_A-\frac{6\epsilon^2}{E_B-E_A}##Then
##E_{3}(\epsilon)=E_B-\frac{3\epsilon^2}{E_B-E_A}, \: \: E_{4}(\epsilon)=E_A+\frac{3\epsilon^2}{E_A-E_B}##

Last edited:

Related to Time independent perturbation (Quantum Mechanics)

1. What is time independent perturbation in quantum mechanics?

Time independent perturbation is a technique used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a system when it is subjected to a small perturbation or disturbance. It allows us to calculate the changes in the energy levels and wave functions of a system due to the perturbation.

2. How is time independent perturbation different from time dependent perturbation?

The main difference between time independent and time dependent perturbation is that time independent perturbation considers the perturbation to be constant over time, while time dependent perturbation takes into account the time-varying nature of the perturbation. Time independent perturbation is often used for systems with a slow or weak perturbation, while time dependent perturbation is used for systems with a fast or strong perturbation.

3. What are some examples of systems that can be studied using time independent perturbation?

Time independent perturbation is widely used in quantum mechanics to study various physical systems, such as atoms, molecules, and solids. It has also been applied to other fields such as nuclear physics, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. Some specific examples include the Stark effect, the Zeeman effect, and the Lamb shift.

4. What is the perturbation theory and how is it related to time independent perturbation?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical tool used to solve problems that cannot be solved exactly. It involves treating a small perturbation as a correction to the unperturbed system and using a series expansion to calculate the changes in the system's properties. Time independent perturbation is one of the perturbation methods used to solve problems in quantum mechanics, along with time dependent perturbation and variational perturbation.

5. What are some limitations of using time independent perturbation in quantum mechanics?

While time independent perturbation is a useful technique in quantum mechanics, it has its limitations. It can only be used for systems with a small perturbation, and the resulting calculations may not be accurate for strong perturbations. Additionally, it assumes that the perturbation is constant over time, which may not be the case in some systems. In such cases, time dependent perturbation may be a more appropriate approach.