Time Travel: Calculating Velocity for 10 Year Trip

In summary, the individual is struggling with adding velocities and determining the appropriate frame of reference for calculations. The concept of velocity addition is necessary when measuring velocities from different frames of reference. However, if all velocities are measured from the same frame, the velocity addition formula is not needed.
jselms99
Homework Statement
One twin leaves earth on his 25th birthday traveling at velocity .87c. After traveling away from earth for 5 Earth-years, he abruptly turns anround and travels back to Earth at the same speed. How old will his twin brother be, whom he left on earth? How old will he be?
Relevant Equations
Unclear
So at first I thought that the time would be 10 years, and that I’d have to consider the outbound motion as v = .87c and inbound motion as v = -.87c but I’m struggling with addition of the velocities and whether or not this is even the right approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not choose a suitable reference frame in which to do the calculations? That would be a good start.

Likes topsquark
jselms99 said:
I’m struggling with addition of the velocities
If all of the velocities are measured from the same frame of reference, the velocity addition formula does not enter in. Velocity addition gets used when you need to add a velocity measured in one frame to a velocity that has been measured from another.

If a guy on a moving rocket fires a bullet from a rifle, you need the velocity addition formula to find the resulting velocity of the bullet.

If you just want to talk about a guy riding a rocket, you do not need the velocity addition formula.

Likes malawi_glenn
jselms99 said:
After traveling away from earth for 5 Earth-years
I presume this to mean 'for 5 years as measured in Earth's inertial frame'. If it doesn't mean that, then a more precise statement of the problem is needed.

I mean, by 'Earth years', I don't think they mean 'as opposed to Mars years', which are larger units of time, but that would be the literal interpretation of the quoted bit above.

• Sad
Likes PeroK and jbriggs444

1. How is velocity calculated for a 10 year time travel trip?

The velocity for a 10 year time travel trip is calculated using the formula v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time. The distance traveled would be the difference between the starting and ending points, and the time would be 10 years.

2. Is it possible to travel through time at the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, it is not possible for an object with mass to travel at the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and would require an infinite amount of energy to reach the speed of light.

3. How does time dilation factor into time travel velocity calculations?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an object moving at high speeds. This means that as an object approaches the speed of light, time would appear to slow down for that object. Therefore, time dilation would need to be taken into account when calculating the velocity for a 10 year time travel trip.

4. Can time travel be achieved through wormholes?

The existence of wormholes is still a topic of debate in the scientific community. While some theories suggest that wormholes could potentially allow for time travel, it is currently not possible to create or travel through a wormhole.

5. How does the concept of time travel affect the laws of physics?

The concept of time travel raises many questions and challenges for the laws of physics. For example, time travel would potentially violate the law of causality, which states that an effect must always occur after its cause. It also raises questions about the conservation of energy and the possibility of creating paradoxes. These are all areas of ongoing research and discussion in the scientific community.