Tips on how to properly study Physics (mechanics and magnetics)

In summary, the speaker advises the individual to practice solving problems in order to learn physics effectively. They also suggest taking breaks between reading and problem-solving, avoiding relying on memorization, and choosing to understand concepts instead. Lastly, they emphasize the importance of learning deeply rather than learning quickly.
icecubebeast
Hello,
Next year I will be taking more than 6 ap classes and I was wondering how to manage my study time and how I study. I will be taking two exams on physics next year (AP Physics C: mechanics and electromagnetism) along with many others.

The questions are:
1. How do you find time to study for Physics?
2. What do you do to learn Physics while you study?
3. What do you do to memorize equations, main concepts and etc. for the long term (lifetime)?
4. What do you avoid doing when studying?
5. What do you do to learn fast?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't learn physics "fast" per say. It's all about how well you can grasp the concept and put together the equations. I like to do practice problems when I can't grasp something because I don't really think that there is any other way because each problem looks different but still applies the same concept. You will memorize the equations the more you use them and understand them better.

icecubebeast said:
1. How do you find time to study for Physics?
Sometimes it can be hard to stop. I will be laying down to sleep and an old, unsolved, problem will come to mind and I just can't help but give it another shot. (It's not uncommon to realize the "key" to the problem while drifting to sleep... then in the morning you just have to do the "dirty work" of working out the numbers.)
If you have unfinished problems and unfinished ideas in the back of your mind, then you can learn physics anywhere.

icecubebeast said:
2. What do you do to learn Physics while you study?
Read with caution; that is, if you ever think you know where it is going, then try to work it out before you finish reading. If your idea differs from what the book is saying, then good, you have something to think about. (Thinking is the fun and fruitful part, reading is just the middle man.)

icecubebeast said:
3. What do you do to memorize equations, main concepts and etc. for the long term (lifetime)?
Memorization for a lifetime? I think the only way to remember something for a life time is to understand it. But then there is nothing to memorize, because you already know it.

icecubebeast said:
4. What do you avoid doing when studying?
I avoid solving the problems directly after reading the chapter (or section). I usually wait at least a day between reading and solving the problems, that way anything I accidentally memorized will be forgotten and I will have to "re-discover" the ideas of the chapter.

icecubebeast said:
To learn fast, you must go slow.
If you go fast, you may be going fast but you will probably not be learning. Learning fast is a distraction if you are not learning deeply. It requires time to learn.
Also; solve lots of problems which are challenging. Problems are an excellent way to develop your skills. Solving problems is the best way to learn the art of problem solving.

Likes duarthiago and micromass
icecubebeast said:

Memorization really should be kept to a minimum. Not saying that it's not important to memorize certain things. But you should choose wisely what to memorize and what not.
Instead of memorization, you might simply choose to rederive the equation if that doesn't take much work. Visualization instead of memorization is a good tool as well. Finding good tricks is also helpful. And most important: solve a lot of problems so the equations feel natural to you.

That is the wrong question. You can learn very fast and don't remember anything after the exam. You must choose to learn deeply.

1. How can I improve my understanding of mechanics in physics?

The best way to improve your understanding of mechanics in physics is to practice solving problems. This will help you become familiar with the principles and equations involved, and also improve your problem-solving skills. Additionally, make sure to review your class notes and textbook regularly, and seek help from your teacher or classmates when needed.

2. What are some important topics to focus on when studying mechanics in physics?

Some important topics to focus on when studying mechanics in physics include kinematics, forces, energy, momentum, and rotational motion. It is also important to understand how to apply these concepts to real-world situations.

3. How do I properly study for a physics exam on mechanics and magnetics?

To properly study for a physics exam on mechanics and magnetics, create a study schedule and stick to it. Make sure to review your notes and textbook, practice solving problems, and use flashcards or other study aids to help memorize important concepts and equations. It is also helpful to take practice exams to familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions that may be asked.

4. How can I better understand the mathematical equations involved in mechanics and magnetics?

To better understand the mathematical equations involved in mechanics and magnetics, make sure to familiarize yourself with the basic principles and concepts first. Then, practice solving problems using these equations and pay attention to the units and variables involved. It may also be helpful to seek out online resources or additional explanations from your teacher or classmates.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when studying mechanics and magnetics in physics?

Some common mistakes to avoid when studying mechanics and magnetics in physics include relying too heavily on memorization instead of understanding, not practicing enough problems, and neglecting to review previous material. It is also important to pay attention to units and to double check your calculations to avoid simple errors.