Top Front End Editors for LaTeX on Windows | User Recommendations"

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter James R
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, LaTeX is a powerful and versatile document format that is well suited for technical writing, but can be difficult to use for non-technical prose. ComputerGeek's experience using LaTeX makes him an expert summarizer of content. He prefers to use a port of XEmacs for Windows, or on UNIX/BSD/Linux, and he doesn't find spending three minutes trying to figure out which brace he forgot to close, or looking up (again) how to put slashes through symbols, disruptive. Scientific Workplace is a good choice for those who need a robust and expensive document editor, but Warren prefers to compose at the keyboard without putting pen to paper.
James R
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
As the title says...

For those of you who use LaTeX, especially on Windows, which editor/front end do you use? Or, if you know of several, which one do you consider to be best?

Physics news on Phys.org
TeXnic center is neat, on windows. I'm content with xemacs and xdvi on a *nix environment.

If you're concerned about entering math into your LaTeX document, I strongly recommend MathType.

- Warren

Typically, I use a port of XEmacs for Win32 whenever I use Windows, or on UNIX/BSD/Linux, I either use some sort of 'vi' (vi or nvi, preferred, but in dire circumstances, vim).

I usually don't bother to generate .dvi output. I just use 'pdflatex' to generate a .pdf (as I probably would've used dvi2ps and ps2pdf, anyways), so when possible I just use 'acroread' or 'xpdf', which uses Ghostscript as a back-end.

emacs is my favorite, almost set up like here http://www.math.aau.dk/~dethlef/Tips/

Last edited by a moderator:
chroot said:
If you're concerned about entering math into your LaTeX document, I strongly recommend MathType.

- Warren

bleh... just get a reference and use the inline math environment.. ti takes a week to get use to and then your on your way.

I agree that Texnicenter is the best IDE for Latex on windows... it is easy to compile the documents, highlights the keywords, etc. and all the documentation that you would search for on the web is already there (literally, the exact same documents)

remember though to install MikTeX is you have not already... none of these environments will work without that installed :-)

ComputerGeek,

I know LaTeX. I built the LaTeX system into this forum :rolleyes: I can still enter equations in MathType an order of magnitude faster, and with less error, than typing the LaTeX commands manually. When writing complex equations manually, I often find myself fighting brace-balancing problems, and I simply have better things to do.

- Warren

chroot said:
ComputerGeek,

I know LaTeX. I built the LaTeX system into this forum :rolleyes: I can still enter equations in MathType an order of magnitude faster, and with less error, than typing the LaTeX commands manually. When writing complex equations manually, I often find myself fighting brace-balancing problems, and I simply have better things to do.

- Warren
I did not mean to insinuate that you were clueless, just that when writing a paper, using the math environment is less disruptive to the writing process than having to open up a separate program to create a mathematical formula.

Different strokes I guess.

ComputerGeek said:
I did not mean to insinuate that you were clueless, just that when writing a paper, using the math environment is less disruptive to the writing process than having to open up a separate program to create a mathematical formula.
alt-tab, type, copy, alt-tab, paste. I don't find it disruptive. I do, however, find spending three minutes trying to figure out which brace I forgot to close, or looking up (again) how to put slashes through symbols, rather disruptive.

Different strokes I guess.
I guess. You're the one who had to comment on what was only a recommendation of a product I enjoy using, rather than just letting me continue to enjoy using it.

- Warren

chroot said:
alt-tab, type, copy, alt-tab, paste. I don't find it disruptive. I do, however, find spending three minutes trying to figure out which brace I forgot to close, or looking up (again) how to put slashes through symbols, rather disruptive.
- Warren

I don't seem to have that problem. Sorry if I struck a nerve.

I have been using WinEdt, which works pretty well, but looking at the TeXNicCenter home page, it looks like it has some good features. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the help.

I use Scientific WorkPlace, which has a fairly hefty price-tag.

chroot said:
I do, however, find spending three minutes trying to figure out which brace I forgot to close, or looking up (again) how to put slashes through symbols, rather disruptive.

I couldn't agree more!

For me there is also another issue. When I write non-technical prose that contains no mathematics, I compose at the keyboard without putting pen to paper. As much as possible, I like to do the same when I write tecnhnical stuff that contains lots of mathematics.

Thisn is impossible when using straight LateX. When I see a complicated mathematical expression in LaTex, I can't, in my mind, visualize the expression both as a whole and as parts, which I need to be able to do in order to manipulate and massage parts as the expression in my head.

Scientific Workplace provides just the type of environment I need - nice visual representation of the mathematics, plotting facilities, and a built-in algebraic system (in my old version, an extensive subset of Maple) that accepts, without ever moving out of the document window, the visual mathematics as input (as opposed to ASCII).

I use this system both not only to wite the final product, but also as an electronic scratchpad to develop the mathematics on the fly.

I have attached a screenshot of work that I posted on the Special & General Relativity forum. This is not after compiling - this is how it appeared as I inputted it in. Of course, compilation is necessary to produce LaTeX output.

Regards,
George

Attachments

• screen.gif
    screen.gif
    45.1 KB · Views: 489
Cripes... why not just use maple then?

Related to Top Front End Editors for LaTeX on Windows | User Recommendations"

1. What is a front end editor for LaTeX?

A front end editor for LaTeX is a software tool that provides a graphical user interface for creating and editing LaTeX documents. It allows users to write LaTeX code without having to manually type in the commands and formatting.

2. Why is it important to have a good front end editor for LaTeX?

Having a good front end editor for LaTeX can greatly improve the efficiency and ease of creating and editing LaTeX documents. It can also help users who are not familiar with the LaTeX syntax to still be able to create high-quality documents.

3. What are some popular front end editors for LaTeX on Windows?

Some popular front end editors for LaTeX on Windows include Texmaker, TeXstudio, and WinEdt. These editors are free to use and offer a variety of features such as syntax highlighting, auto-completion, and project management.

4. Can I use a front end editor for LaTeX if I am not familiar with LaTeX?

Yes, you can still use a front end editor for LaTeX even if you are not familiar with the syntax. These editors often have a user-friendly interface and provide helpful tools such as templates and wizards to assist with creating a document.

5. Are there any user recommendations for a good front end editor for LaTeX on Windows?

Yes, many users recommend Texmaker and TeXstudio as they are both user-friendly and have a wide range of features. WinEdt is also a popular choice for more experienced LaTeX users. It is important to try out different editors and find one that best suits your needs and preferences.