Topics in your first physics year.

In summary: It's a different thing for competitions/olympiads though. You'll need to do more than memorize a textbook for that.
PrincePhoenix
Gold Member
When you study physics for the first time in school what grade,class or year is it? And what are the topics in your first year? I live in Pakistan and we start Physics in Class 9 (at approximately 16 years of age). The topics we study are as under.
-Measurement
-Kinematics
-Scalars and Vectors
-Equilibrium and Torque
-Force,Motion and Momentum
-Circular Motion
-Gravitation
-Work,Energy and Power
-Simple Machines
-Heat
-Properties of Matter
After that is class 10 (which I am currently studying) at the end of which we give our matric exam (approx equivalent of GCE O' levels though easier).

Physics news on Phys.org
PrincePhoenix said:
When you study physics for the first time in school what grade,class or year is it? And what are the topics in your first year? I live in Pakistan and we start Physics in Class 9 (at approximately 16 years of age). The topics we study are as under.
-Measurement
-Kinematics
-Scalars and Vectors
-Equilibrium and Torque
-Force,Motion and Momentum
-Circular Motion
-Gravitation
-Work,Energy and Power
-Simple Machines
-Heat
-Properties of Matter
After that is class 10 (which I am currently studying) at the end of which we give our matric exam (approx equivalent of GCE O' levels though easier).

That's just about right. Here in the US, we have this thing called "AP Physics C (calculus based)" divided into 2 parts:

1. Mechanics (which covers what you listed above)
2. Electricity and Magnetism

Some schools offer the two class as 1 semester classes (so both can be covered in a full year) - just like the typical sequence in college. However, most schools cover each in a year, which makes it 2 years to complete both sequences.

Then there is another class called "AP Physics B (algebra based)" which covers all topics from mechanics and E&M to modern physics in a full year, but is more shallow and less in-depth than the C curriculum.

I did not take physics in high school. In high school, I thought I wanted to be a doctor, so I took every bio course my school offered and opted out of physics. Not exactly sure if I regret it. The first quarter of physics in college was brutal, but I rebounded fairly well after that.

thrill3rnit3 said:
That's just about right. Here in the US, we have this thing called "AP Physics C (calculus based)" divided into 2 parts:

1. Mechanics (which covers what you listed above)
2. Electricity and Magnetism

Some schools offer the two class as 1 semester classes (so both can be covered in a full year) - just like the typical sequence in college. However, most schools cover each in a year, which makes it 2 years to complete both sequences.

Then there is another class called "AP Physics B (algebra based)" which covers all topics from mechanics and E&M to modern physics in a full year, but is more shallow and less in-depth than the C curriculum.
Electricity and magnetism , optics are all taught in 10th class over here. But ours are algebra based. No calculus based physics over here in schools (We call grades till K-10 school). And how are you taught? We have a textbook with all the
topics and we are taught according to it. Then when we have our exams (standardized or not) , everything comes from text in the book. So our exams can be usually passed by rote learning (at least till our matric exams). And what is the marking system in your country? We are given numbers (e.g 70/75 etc).

Flat said:
I did not take physics in high school. In high school, I thought I wanted to be a doctor, so I took every bio course my school offered and opted out of physics. Not exactly sure if I regret it. The first quarter of physics in college was brutal, but I rebounded fairly well after that.

Heh, I opted out of biology in high school and took extra physics and math. And then I realized I wanted to be a doctor. Sadly that realization only came to me around the end of my second year of grad school...

PrincePhoenix said:
Electricity and magnetism , optics are all taught in 10th class over here. But ours are algebra based. No calculus based physics over here in schools (We call grades till K-10 school).

That's the "B" curriculum of our AP Physics course. There is a wide range of contents, but they're not delved in as deeply as the "C" curriculum.

PrincePhoenix said:
And how are you taught? We have a textbook with all the
topics and we are taught according to it. Then when we have our exams (standardized or not) , everything comes from text in the book

I think that's a pretty standard way of learning wherever you are :wink:

PrincePhoenix said:
So our exams can be usually passed by rote learning (at least till our matric exams).

Same goes here, I guess. If you know your stuff, you'll do fine on tests.

It's a different thing for competitions/olympiads though. You'll need to do more than memorize a bunch of formulas.

PrincePhoenix said:
And what is the marking system in your country? We are given numbers (e.g 70/75 etc).

Depends on the school.

thrill3rnit3 said:
I think that's a pretty standard way of learning wherever you are :wink:
Actually its in the traditional outdated system. The schools which offer GCE O'Levels have better teaching and testing standards. Unfortunately there is a disadvantage in their marking system if one wants to continue learning in our traditional system. Furthermore, those schools are very expensive. But the thing that really makes me angry is the fact that a person who doesn't understand a thing can beat you in marks.

Related to Topics in your first physics year.

1. What is the difference between classical and modern physics?

Classical physics is based on the laws of motion and gravity described by Sir Isaac Newton, while modern physics includes the theories of relativity and quantum mechanics developed by Albert Einstein and other scientists.

2. What are the main branches of physics?

The main branches of physics are classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics which includes relativity and quantum mechanics. Other branches include astrophysics, nuclear physics, and biophysics.

3. How does physics relate to other sciences?

Physics is considered the foundation of all other sciences, as it provides the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy. Many other sciences, such as chemistry and biology, rely on concepts and theories from physics to understand and explain their own phenomena.

4. What is the scientific method and how is it used in physics?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to problem-solving that involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to reach a conclusion. In physics, the scientific method is used to test and validate theories and laws, and to make predictions about the behavior of physical systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of physics?

Physics has many real-world applications, including technologies such as electricity, magnetism, and optics that are used in everyday life. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies, such as renewable energy sources, medical imaging, and space exploration. Physics also helps us better understand the natural world, from the behavior of atoms and subatomic particles to the movements of celestial bodies.