Torque Calculation for Jacked-Up Car Changing Tires

• Thread starter hshphyss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the first conversation discusses a problem involving a rolling hoop with given mass and angular speed, and a ramp inclined at 12°. The person is trying to use the total mechanical energy formula to find the distance the hoop rolls, but is making errors with the calculations and mixing up angular and linear speed. They also need to consider the initial height of the hoop's center of mass when it is on the ramp.In the second conversation, a mechanic is jacking up a car at an angle of 8.0° to change the front tires. The person is trying to calculate the torque exerted by the car around the back wheels, but needs to consider the location of the car's weight and the angle between the force and
hshphyss
Can anyone help me with these problems? Thank-you

1.) In a circus performance, a large 4.0 kg hoop with a radius of 1.8 m rolls without slipping. If the hoop is given an angular speed of 5.0 rad/s while rolling on the horizontal and is allowed to roll up a ramp inclined at 12° with the horizontal, how far (measured along the incline) does the hoop roll?

I know I have to use the total mechanical energy formula to solve for the height, then find the sin of 12°. I tried canceling out, and not but each answer I got was wrong. So It would be 1/2mv²+1/2mr²(v²/r²)=mgh, which is 1/2(4)(5²)+1/2(4)(1.8²)(5²/1.8²)=(4)(9.8) when I canceled out I got 50=39.2h (h=1.28), when I did not I got 100=39.2h (h=2.55). After that, I solved for H, with sin12=oppositite/hypotenuse, so I got H=-2.38 and -4.75. I know that distance can't be negative, so I'm pretty sure my signs aren't my problem.
-------------------------

2.) A mechanic jacks up a car to an angle of 8.0° to change the front tires. The car is 3.20 m long and has a mass of 1160 kg. Its center of mass is located 1.12 m from the front end. The rear wheels are 0.40 m from the back end. Calculate the torque exerted by the car around the back wheels.

I know it's going to be negative, and that Torque= Fr sin theta

Physics news on Phys.org
hshphyss said:
1.) In a circus performance, a large 4.0 kg hoop with a radius of 1.8 m rolls without slipping. If the hoop is given an angular speed of 5.0 rad/s while rolling on the horizontal and is allowed to roll up a ramp inclined at 12° with the horizontal, how far (measured along the incline) does the hoop roll?

I know I have to use the total mechanical energy formula to solve for the height, then find the sin of 12°. I tried canceling out, and not but each answer I got was wrong. So It would be 1/2mv²+1/2mr²(v²/r²)=mgh, which is 1/2(4)(5²)+1/2(4)(1.8²)(5²/1.8²)=(4)(9.8) when I canceled out I got 50=39.2h (h=1.28), when I did not I got 100=39.2h (h=2.55). After that, I solved for H, with sin12=oppositite/hypotenuse, so I got H=-2.38 and -4.75. I know that distance can't be negative, so I'm pretty sure my signs aren't my problem.

Two problems: (1) you are mixing up angular speed with linear speed (5.0 rad/s is not v!), and (2) realize that "h" is the change in height of the center of mass of the hoop and that when the hoop is on the incline its center is not directly above the point of contact (the initial height of that center of mass is not at zero).

2.) A mechanic jacks up a car to an angle of 8.0° to change the front tires. The car is 3.20 m long and has a mass of 1160 kg. Its center of mass is located 1.12 m from the front end. The rear wheels are 0.40 m from the back end. Calculate the torque exerted by the car around the back wheels.

I know it's going to be negative, and that Torque= Fr sin theta
The force creating the torque is the car's weight: Where does it act? Also realize that "theta" is the angle between "r" and "F". (Draw yourself a diagram.)

besides using v=5 rad/s, instead of v=(1.8 m/rad)(5 rad/s),
sin(12 degrees) = 0.208, not negative ; you're in radians mode.

What is rotational equilibrium?

Rotational equilibrium is a state in which an object is not rotating or is rotating at a constant speed without any changes in its direction or axis of rotation. This means that the net torque acting on the object is equal to zero.

How is rotational equilibrium different from translational equilibrium?

Translational equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is not moving or is moving at a constant velocity in a straight line. This means that the net force acting on the object is equal to zero. In rotational equilibrium, the object is not rotating or is rotating at a constant speed, but may still be moving in a straight line.

What is the role of torque in rotational equilibrium?

Torque is the measure of a force's ability to rotate an object around a fixed axis. In rotational equilibrium, the net torque acting on an object is equal to zero, meaning that all the torques acting on the object are balanced and there is no rotational acceleration.

How does the distribution of mass affect rotational equilibrium?

The distribution of mass affects rotational equilibrium because it determines the object's moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will require more torque to rotate and maintain equilibrium.

What are some real-life examples of rotational equilibrium?

Some common examples of rotational equilibrium include a balanced see-saw, a bicycle wheel spinning at a constant speed, a spinning top, or a planet in orbit around the sun. These objects are all experiencing rotational equilibrium because the net torque acting on them is equal to zero.