Torque Distribution through a Two Stage Belt Drive

In summary, the speaker is seeking clarification on why a wider belt is being used on the first stage of a two stage drive system, even though both stages have the same ratio. They are also asking how the ratio affects the torque distribution and how it would differ if the system ratios were different. The expert responds by explaining that the belt width is determined by the operating force and gives an example of how pulley size affects the tensile force on the belt.
billinr
Hello All

I am trying to work through a belt drive design and I am confused with a simple concept.

I have a two stage system that has a max torque input of 110N. I want to treat this as "worst case", so I assume that all of the torque is used at the final output flywheel.

The first stage has the same ratio as the second stage, but the pulley sizes are different.

I have the belts designed, but my issue is that I need to explain to the customer why I am using a wider belt (poly-v) on the first stage than on the second. The second belt width is 80% of the first. This is what my calculation software tells me is correct.

The drive has been tested, so I know it works - I just do not know why it works.

Could someone explain to me:

When there are multiple stages in a drive, how does the relationship between the ratios affect how much of the torque is consumed in each system? With these two systems having the same ratio, do they each consume 1/2 the torque? (Obviously not, because of the belt width difference??) Is this due to the differences in the pulley sizes?

For a future reference, if the system ratios were different, how does that affect the calculation?

Thanks for any assistance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Belt width would be decided by the operating force of the belt. If you have two pulleys subject to the same moment, one twice the radius of the other, then the belt on the larger pulley will only be subject to half the tensile force of the belt on the smaller pulley.

Related to Torque Distribution through a Two Stage Belt Drive

1. How is torque distributed through a two stage belt drive?

The torque in a two stage belt drive is distributed through two different belts, each with their own pulleys and tension. The first belt connects the motor to the first stage pulley, which transfers the torque to the second stage pulley. The second belt then connects the second stage pulley to the load, distributing the torque to the load.

2. What are the benefits of using a two stage belt drive?

One of the main benefits of using a two stage belt drive is that it allows for a larger speed ratio between the motor and the load, allowing for greater flexibility in speed control. Additionally, the use of two belts helps to distribute the torque more evenly, reducing the risk of overload and potential damage to the system.

3. How does the tension in the belts affect torque distribution?

The tension in the belts plays a crucial role in torque distribution. If the tension is too loose, the belts may slip and result in a loss of torque. On the other hand, if the tension is too tight, it can cause excessive wear on the belts and pulleys, leading to potential failure. It is important to maintain proper tension in order to ensure efficient torque distribution.

4. What factors can affect torque distribution in a two stage belt drive?

There are several factors that can affect torque distribution in a two stage belt drive. These include the type and condition of the belts, the diameter and speed of the pulleys, the angle of the pulleys, and the amount of tension in the belts. It is important to consider all of these factors when designing or maintaining a two stage belt drive system.

5. How can torque distribution be optimized in a two stage belt drive?

To optimize torque distribution in a two stage belt drive, it is important to properly select and maintain the belts and pulleys, ensuring they are in good condition and properly aligned. Additionally, adjusting the tension in the belts can help to optimize torque distribution. It is also recommended to periodically check and recalibrate the system to ensure efficient torque distribution.