Torque needed to rotate a cylinder

In summary: Altogether, the total torques needed to create the coil are as follows:315 Nm torque to accelerate and maintain the rotation of the cylinder220 Nm torque to bend the tubeThis leaves a final torque of 565 Nm.
JohnS-I
Hello,

I'm designing a machine as a final assignment for my internship. It's a machine that wraps SS tubing around a cylinder, making coils.
While trying to figure out how much torque I'd need to rotate the cylinder I found that I'm really in the dark on the subject (the teacher I had didn't pay nearly enough attention to calculations like this).

I live in the Netherlands so I use the metric system. I hope that won't be too much of a problem.

Here's what I do know:

T = I x a

T = Torque
I = Moment of Inertia (mass x radius^2)
a = angular acceleration

The cylinder weighs in at 12.53 Kg and it's radius is 143.75 mm.

I don't know if I need to convert these numbers which is what's stopping me from calculating the MoI.

As for the angular acceleration, I believe that it's got something to do with difference in rotating speed and time, I just don't know what to do with those numbers either.

Max. RPM: 5
Acc. time: 5 sec.

All help/explanations are very much appreciated!

Note: I have checked out some of the existing (older) threads on the subject but that didn't make me understand things enough to base my own calculations on.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The equation you are looking for is:
[tex]T_{in} = \sum{T_{out}} + I\alpha[/tex]
Where:

##T_{in}## is the input torque;
##\sum{T_{out}}## is the sum of all output torques (or resistances);
##I\alpha## is the moment of inertia and angular acceleration.

When there will be no acceleration (i.e. constant rpm), the ##I\alpha## part is zero.

The summation of all resistances is probably more important to identify and will be present at all rpms. It consists of the friction (Ex.: the bearings) and probably the pulling force that the tubing will create while making the coil. That last one may be the main resistance to overcome during the operation.

The math part is easy. It is properly evaluating the different resistances that is difficult.

Isn't the most important parameter the force needed to bend the tube? You gave no info about the tube.

Likes JohnS-I and Nidum
Be aware that, as the material wrapped on the cylinder comes to rest relative to the mandrel, the effective MMOI is going to be continually increasing. This is a common situation in a steel or aluminum sheet mill.

Thank you for your replies.

@anorlunda I forgot to put that in the post, the force needed to bend the tube is 220 Nm although to be absolutely save the number I'm going to be using in the equation is 315 Nm. Is that the resistance you meant @jack action?

So in order to create a coil, what I need to overcome are the 315 Nm it takes to bend the tube + the Nm it takes to rotate the cylinder. The latter is the one I am not sure how to figure out.

The cylinder rotates slowly and is not very heavy. I believe the 315 Nm torque required to accelerate and maintain cylinder rotation will be very small compared with the torque needed to coil the tube. Use worst case values to estimate the torques.

First the 12.53 kg cylinder with radius 144 mm must be accelerated to 5 RPM in 5 seconds.

Then it must continue to rotate at 5RPM while overcoming the friction of the bearings that support the cylinder. The force on those bearings will be the weight of the cylinder plus the reaction to the tube bending force. You need to know what type of bearings are specified to support the cylinder so as to identify an appropriate friction coefficient.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque related to the rotation of a cylinder?

Torque is directly related to the rotation of a cylinder because it is the force that causes the cylinder to rotate. The amount of torque needed to rotate a cylinder depends on the size, shape, and weight of the cylinder, as well as the force applied to it.

3. What factors affect the torque needed to rotate a cylinder?

The torque needed to rotate a cylinder is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the cylinder, the weight of the cylinder, the force applied to it, and the friction between the cylinder and its pivot point or surface.

4. How can the torque needed to rotate a cylinder be calculated?

The torque needed to rotate a cylinder can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the cylinder by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This is known as the lever arm or moment arm. The resulting value is the torque in Newton-meters or foot-pounds.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque and cylinder rotation?

Torque and cylinder rotation are important in many real-world applications, such as engine pistons rotating in a car engine, wind turbines rotating to generate electricity, and drills rotating to bore holes. Understanding torque and its relationship to the rotation of cylinders is crucial in designing and optimizing these and many other mechanical systems.