Total internal reflection questions

In summary, the smallest angle for which a laser beam undergoes total internal reflection on the hypotenuse of a prism is 41.81 degrees.
twiztidmxcn
hey

so I'm doing this question on total internal reflection and have got myself totally lost

here is the question:

what is the smallest angle [tex]\theta[/tex](1) for which a laser beam will undergo TIR on the hypotenus of this glass prism?

after reflecting off the hypotenuse at [tex]\theta[/tex](c) the laser exits the prism through the bottom face. does it exit to the right or left of the normal? at what angle?

http://photos-603.facebook.com/n11/161/86/37900227/n37900227_30061603_2132.jpg

that is a picture of what is going on here

Now, i realize that at some point I am going to be using snells law as well as the equation for critical angle. My question is.. what do I do?

I am totally lost as you can probably see, and any help would be much appreciated
thank you
twiztidmxcn

*edit*
i've used the critical angle equation and found that the critical angle is 41.81 degrees (using n1 = 1.5 for glass, n2 = 1.0 for air) and didn't know what to do with it... i ended up subtracting the triangle angle of 30 degrees and setting 1.5*sin11.81 = 1*sin theta and solved for theta. i got the right answer, but am not sure how the 30 degrees is subtracted. i know it involves similar triangles but am just not seeing it i guess.

same for the second part, i just subtracted 60-41.81 and then setup the same equation to find my angle coming out, which again i got correct, but am stumped as to how that works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good job solving the middle part first, that's how I would approach it as well. Now just draw the two 41.8 degree beams coming off the hypotenuse side (one toward the left face and one toward the bottom face). Then label the angles where the beams exit out the two sides. That should help you keep the Snell's law beam angle changes straight at the two sides.

Here's a helpful hint. Redraw the triangle such that the two angles are very different (like 20 degrees and 70 degrees). Then draw your ray tracing going backward, and the angles you need will be much more obvious as you look at them (you will see whether to subtract 60 or 30 degrees because you will see one angle much larger than the other).

Related to Total internal reflection questions

1. What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when a light ray traveling through a denser medium reaches the boundary of a less dense medium at an angle greater than the critical angle, causing the light to reflect back into the denser medium instead of refracting into the less dense medium.

2. What is the critical angle in total internal reflection?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which the light ray will be refracted along the boundary of the two media, instead of being refracted into the second medium. It is dependent on the indices of refraction of the two media and can be calculated using Snell's law.

3. What are some real-life applications of total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection is used in various technologies, such as fiber optic cables, prisms in binoculars and cameras, and reflective coatings on traffic lights. It is also utilized in the medical field for techniques like endoscopy and optical coherence tomography.

4. Can total internal reflection occur in all mediums?

No, total internal reflection can only occur when light travels from a denser medium to a less dense medium. It is not possible for total internal reflection to occur when light travels from a less dense medium to a denser medium.

5. How does total internal reflection relate to the concept of critical angle?

Total internal reflection occurs when the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle. If the angle of incidence is less than the critical angle, the light will be refracted into the second medium. Therefore, the critical angle is a crucial factor in determining whether or not total internal reflection will occur.