Optics: Total Internal Reflection with Triangular Prisms

In summary, when the striking ray is held perpendicular to the prism, there are four general configurations possible (in the attachment below). Use the figure on the next page to determine analytically which of these four configurations will result in total internal reflection of the light ray. Sketch the results. In summary, when the striking ray is held perpendicular to the prism, there are four general configurations possible. One of the configurations results in total internal reflection.
everlasting89

Homework Statement

When the striking ray is held perpendicular to the prism, there are four general configurations possible (in the attachment below). Use the figure on the next page to determine analytically which of these four configurations will result in total internal reflection of the light ray. Show analytical work and try each setup. Sketch the results.

Homework Equations

sin θ = (n1 / n2)(sin 90)
Angles of the prism: 90, 59, and 31 degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

Found the critical angle:
sin θ = (n1 / n2)(sin 90)
sin θ = (1.5/1)(sin 90)
sin θ = (1.5/1)(1)
θ = 41.8 degrees

And I know that for total internal reflection the angle of incidence must be larger than the critical angle. However, I am stuck on what (and how) to do next.

Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• TIR Problem.JPG
    TIR Problem.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 738
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! :smile:

What are the angles of the prism? They must be given.

Draw the rays inside the prism and figure out the angle of incidence when the ray strikes the other side.

ehild

Thanks, ehild. The prism is 60, 59, and 30 degrees. How do I determine what the rays inside the prism look like?everlasting89

everlasting89 said:
Thanks, ehild. The prism is 60, 59, and 30 degrees. How do I determine what the rays inside the prism look like?

everlasting89

You mean 90 instead of 59, I guess :smile:

The ray enters at the first surface at zero angle of incidence (perpendicular to the plane) so it does not change direction in the prism. At what angle with respect to the normal does the ray strike the other surface? It is just simple geometry. I draw one of the configuration. Is the angle of incidence θ smaller of larger than the critical angle of 41.8°?

ehild

Attachments

• totalrrefl.JPG
    totalrrefl.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:
Ok, I think I get it. Thanks! So the incidental angle would be 30 degrees which is smaller than the critical angle of 41.8. Thus, it will not result in total internal reflection.

1. What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when a light ray traveling through a medium with a higher refractive index strikes the boundary of a medium with a lower refractive index at an angle greater than the critical angle. This causes all of the light to be reflected back into the original medium, instead of being refracted.

2. How do triangular prisms demonstrate total internal reflection?

Triangular prisms have two faces that are at a 90-degree angle to each other, creating a right angle. When light enters one face of the prism at an angle greater than the critical angle, it undergoes total internal reflection at the other face of the prism, resulting in the light being redirected out of the prism.

3. What is the critical angle?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which total internal reflection occurs. It is determined by the refractive indices of the two media at the boundary.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect total internal reflection?

The angle of incidence is directly related to the critical angle. As the angle of incidence increases, the critical angle also increases. If the angle of incidence is less than the critical angle, the light will be partially refracted and partially reflected. If the angle of incidence is equal to or greater than the critical angle, total internal reflection will occur.

5. Can total internal reflection occur in other shapes besides triangular prisms?

Yes, total internal reflection can occur in any shape that has at least one angle greater than 90 degrees. Examples include diamond cuts, water droplets, and fiber optic cables.