Total magnetic moment of simple system.

In summary, I think the author's problem is that they are not completely clear about the terminology that is being used.
cdummie

Homework Statement

If there's a current I flowing through the rectangular conductor and it's located in the magnetic field in such way that normal vector of the surface that this rectangle forms closes the angle of 60 degrees with magnetic induction vector find total magnetic moment of this system

Homework Equations

m[/B]=SI

The Attempt at a Solution

Formula for magnetic moment is m=SI where m is magnetic moment, S is the area of surface and I is the current. It is obvious that magnetic moment has the same direction as vector that is normal to the surface. This seems done to me now, but obviously it isn't since i am supposed to use the fact that i know direction of magnetic induction vector, but i just don't know how i am supposed to do that.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem seems rather incomplete and/or misworded. With a magnetic moment in a magnetic field, there is a torque ## \tau =m \times B ##. (Formula is a vector cross product.). The vector cross product is the reason the angle of 60 degrees would be important. It seems a more proper question to ask would be "what is the torque on the magnetic moment?" ...editing...perhaps in very loose wording, a torque can also be called a "moment" because they call it a "moment arm" etc., but the "torque" should really be called the "torque".

Last edited:
Likes cdummie
Charles Link said:
The problem seems rather incomplete and/or misworded. With a magnetic moment in a magnetic field, there is a torque ## \tau =m \times B ##. (Formula is a vector cross product.). The vector cross product is the reason the angle of 60 degrees would be important. It seems a more proper question to ask would be "what is the torque on the magnetic moment?" ...editing...perhaps in very loose wording, a torque can also be called a "moment" because they call it a "moment arm" etc., but the "torque" should really be called the "torque".

That's exactly what i thought, it might be that they meant a torque on the magnetic moment, but i wasn't completely sure. Anyway, i needed approval that i can't determine m by using the fact that i know B, i mean, that there's no formula that is used to determine m by knowing B.

cdummie said:
That's exactly what i thought, it might be that they meant a torque on the magnetic moment, but i wasn't completely sure. Anyway, i needed approval that i can't determine m by using the fact that i know B, i mean, that there's no formula that is used to determine m by knowing B.
I think in a mechanics class I have heard the rxF's on a lever arm referred to as moments, but in E&M the word "moment" should be reserved for the "magnetic moment". The word torque is the proper term in E&M for the rxF generated when a magnetic moment ## m=I*A ## is found in a magnetic field ## B ##. This torque ## \tau=m \times B ##. The torque that occurs on a current loop of area A and current I in a magnetic field B is a simple follow-on from the force F that occurs on a wire of length L and current I in a magnetic field B: ## F=IL \times B ##.

Last edited:

Related to Total magnetic moment of simple system.

What is the total magnetic moment of a simple system?

The total magnetic moment of a simple system refers to the sum of the individual magnetic moments of all the particles in the system. It is a measure of the overall magnetic field strength and direction of the system.

How is the total magnetic moment calculated?

The total magnetic moment can be calculated by multiplying the magnetic moment of each particle by its number of particles and summing them together. It can also be calculated using the vector sum of the individual magnetic moments.

What factors affect the total magnetic moment of a simple system?

The total magnetic moment of a simple system is affected by the type and number of particles present, the strength of the magnetic field, and the orientation of the particles relative to the field. Temperature and external forces can also impact the total magnetic moment.

What is the relationship between the total magnetic moment and the magnetic field strength?

The total magnetic moment is directly proportional to the magnetic field strength. This means that as the magnetic field increases, the total magnetic moment also increases. However, the exact relationship between the two may vary depending on the type of particles and their orientation.

What is the significance of the total magnetic moment in a simple system?

The total magnetic moment is important in understanding the behavior of magnetic materials and their response to external magnetic fields. It is also used in various applications such as in data storage devices, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and magnetometers.