Total peripheral resistance and the diastolic pressure

In summary, the textbook states that total peripheral resistance (TPR) plays a significant role in increasing diastolic pressure more than systolic pressure. This is due to the equation ABP = SV * HR * TPR, where arterial blood pressure (ABP) is influenced by stroke volume (SV), heart rate (HR), and TPR. TPR is a measure of resistance in the arteries, and an increase in TPR results in a greater effect on diastolic pressure compared to systolic pressure. This is due to the fact that diastolic pressure is a measure of the pressure in the arteries when the heart is at rest, while systolic pressure is a measure of the pressure during contraction of the heart.
Asmaa Mohammad
Hello,

I came across this line in my textbook:
"Total peripheral resistance (TPR) increases diastolic pressure more than systolic pressure."

I don't understand how the peripheral resistance would increase the diastolic pressure more than the systolic pressure?

Could some one explain that for me?

Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
Asmaa Mohammad said:
Hello,

I came across this line in my textbook:
"Total peripheral resistance (TPR) increases diastolic pressure more than systolic pressure."

I don't understand how the peripheral resistance would increase the diastolic pressure more than the systolic pressure?

Could some one explain that for me?

Thanks!
Can you post the Relevant Equations? There are several equations that apply... :smile:

berkeman said:
Can you post the Relevant Equations? There are several equations that apply... :smile:
The equation in the book is:
ABP = SV * HR * TPR
(Arterial blood pressure = stroke volume * Heart rate * total peripheral resistance)

But I want to understand the physiological part not the marhematical one.

1. What is total peripheral resistance?

Total peripheral resistance (TPR) is the resistance to blood flow in the blood vessels throughout the body. It is primarily determined by the size and elasticity of the blood vessels and the amount of blood volume in the vessels.

2. How is TPR related to diastolic pressure?

TPR plays a crucial role in determining diastolic blood pressure, which is the pressure in the arteries when the heart is at rest. A higher TPR means more resistance to blood flow, resulting in an increase in diastolic pressure. Conversely, a lower TPR will lead to a decrease in diastolic pressure.

3. What factors affect TPR?

There are several factors that can affect TPR, including the diameter and elasticity of blood vessels, the viscosity of blood, and the amount of blood volume in the vessels. Hormones, such as adrenaline and angiotensin II, can also impact TPR by constricting or dilating blood vessels.

4. How is TPR measured?

TPR is typically measured by using a method called vascular resistance, which involves measuring blood pressure and blood flow in specific blood vessels. This can be done using invasive techniques, such as catheters, or non-invasive methods, such as Doppler ultrasound.

5. What are the clinical implications of TPR and diastolic pressure?

TPR and diastolic pressure are important factors in assessing overall cardiovascular health. High TPR and diastolic pressure can indicate conditions such as hypertension, while low TPR and diastolic pressure may be a sign of hypotension. Monitoring TPR and diastolic pressure can help healthcare professionals diagnose and manage these conditions.