Transfer Function of Block Diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses the block diagram of a PM DC servo motor with current loop feedback and the approximation of its transfer function. The simplified transfer function is shown to be G(s) = Kt / (JLs2 + J(R + Ki)s + KtKb), and the attempt to factor the denominator using the quadratic formula is also mentioned. However, it is noted that the final transfer function presented in the homework does not match the one obtained through this method.
ThLiOp

Homework Statement

The block diagram of a PM DC servo motor with current loop feedback is shown below:

QWERTY.jpg

If Ki is adjusted such that J(Ki+R)2 >> 4KTKbL, show that the transfer function may be approximated by

G(s) = (1/Kb) / (τms+1)(τes+1),

where

τm = J(R+Ki) / KTKb

τe = L / (R+Ki)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I simplified the block diagram and got the transfer function:

G(s) = Kt / (JLs2 + J(R + Ki)s + KtKb)

Then I tried to factor the denominator. When using the quadratic formula, I found:

(-JR - JKi) +/- sqrt( J[ J(R+Ki)2 - 4KtKbL]) / 2JL

Assuming the conditions presented for Ki, I canceled out the 4KtKbL.

Am I on the right path? In the end, I still couldn't get the transfer function presented in the homework.

Physics news on Phys.org
ThLiOp said:
I simplified the block diagram and got the transfer function:

G(s) = Kt / (JLs2 + J(R + Ki)s + KtKb)
That seems fine.

ThLiOp said:
Then I tried to factor the denominator. When using the quadratic formula, I found:

(-JR - JKi) +/- sqrt( J[ J(R+Ki)2 - 4KtKbL]) / 2JL
Those are just the roots, though. If ##ax^2 + bx + c## is your polynomial, then its factored form is ##a(x - x_1)(x - x_2)##, where ##x_1## and ##x_2## are its roots.

ThLiOp said:
Am I on the right path? In the end, I still couldn't get the transfer function presented in the homework.
I can't either. Going your route, and I think the approximation shown is highly suggestive of that, I get the form:
$$
\frac{\dot{\theta}(s)}{V(s)} = \frac{\frac{1}{K_b}}{\tau_m s (\tau_e s + 1)}
$$
Sort of looks like a typo, but maybe there's another route I'm just not seeing.

Related to Transfer Function of Block Diagram

1. What is a transfer function in a block diagram?

A transfer function in a block diagram is a mathematical representation that describes the input-output relationship of a system. It shows how the output of a system is affected by the input, and is useful in analyzing the behavior of the system.

2. How is a transfer function represented in a block diagram?

In a block diagram, a transfer function is typically represented by a single block with an arrow pointing from the input to the output. The transfer function itself is written inside the block in the form of a ratio of the output to the input.

3. What is the purpose of a transfer function in a block diagram?

The main purpose of a transfer function in a block diagram is to help in the analysis and design of systems. It allows engineers to understand how the input and output of a system are related, and to make changes to the system in order to achieve a desired output.

4. How is a transfer function derived from a block diagram?

A transfer function can be derived from a block diagram by applying the rules of block diagram algebra. This involves simplifying the diagram by combining blocks in series and parallel, until a single transfer function is obtained that represents the entire system.

5. What are the key components of a transfer function in a block diagram?

The key components of a transfer function in a block diagram are the numerator and denominator. The numerator represents the output of the system, while the denominator represents the input. The coefficients of the terms in the numerator and denominator determine the behavior of the system.