Transfer matrix for a finite length? (Quantum mechanics)

In summary, the student is struggling with finding a solution to exercise (*b) and has uploaded a pdf of the assignment for reference. They are seeking advice and have provided the relevant equation for the problem. The student has attempted a solution, but is unsure how to progress further and is considering using Euler's identity to reexpress the wave function as a linear combination of vectors. They are seeking further assistance with this approach.
Schwarzschild90

Homework Statement

I'm struggling to find a solution to exercise (*b). I have uploaded a pdf of the assignment.

Please advise me at your convenience.

Homework Equations

[tex]x(x_l^+) = T(x_l^+, x_l^-)x(x_l^-)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]x(a^-) = \frac{\psi(a^-)}{\psi(a^-)} , T(a^+, a^-) \left( \frac{\psi(a^-)}{\psi(a^-)} \right) [/tex]

Now, the final result is a matrix of which the rows and columns consist of sine and cosine terms. I have an intuition for why the matrix looks like that, but do not know how to progress to that point. My intution tells me that since the wave function might be restated as a linear combination of vectors, then I could use Euler's identity to reexpress it.

Attachments

• class4-1.pdf
    149.8 KB · Views: 259
Physics news on Phys.org
However, I'm not sure how to do that, or if this is the right approach. Any help would be appreciated.

Related to Transfer matrix for a finite length? (Quantum mechanics)

1. What is the transfer matrix for a finite length in quantum mechanics?

The transfer matrix for a finite length in quantum mechanics is a mathematical tool used to describe the propagation of a quantum system through a finite region. It is a matrix that relates the state of the system at the beginning of the region to its state at the end of the region.

2. How is the transfer matrix calculated?

The transfer matrix is calculated by using the Schrödinger equation to describe the evolution of the system through the finite region. This equation is then solved to find the transfer matrix that relates the wavefunction at the beginning of the region to the wavefunction at the end of the region.

3. What is the significance of the transfer matrix in quantum mechanics?

The transfer matrix is significant because it allows us to predict the behavior of a quantum system as it passes through a finite region. It helps us understand how the system's wavefunction will change and evolve, and can be used to make predictions about the system's properties and behavior.

4. How does the transfer matrix differ from the scattering matrix?

The transfer matrix and the scattering matrix are both mathematical tools used in quantum mechanics, but they serve different purposes. The transfer matrix describes the evolution of a quantum system through a finite region, whereas the scattering matrix describes the interaction between two quantum systems. Additionally, the transfer matrix is a square matrix, while the scattering matrix is a rectangular matrix.

5. Can the transfer matrix be used for infinite systems?

No, the transfer matrix is specifically designed for finite systems. For infinite systems, other mathematical tools such as the Bloch theorem and the Floquet theory are used to describe the system's behavior. However, in certain cases, the transfer matrix can be used as an approximation for infinite systems.