Transfer programs and don't mention old one

• Programs
  • Thread starter trivialsolution
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programs
In summary, if you want to transfer to a new program, be upfront about your reasons and be prepared for the possibility of being rejected.
trivialsolution
If I were to start a masters/Phd program and only take a class or two then decided I want to try to apply for a different program could I simply leave off the fact that I attended the first program? The only downside I currently see is losing credits for those initial classes. I ask because every time I hear/read about transferring it seems like a bad idea unless the student has what is deemed an "acceptable" reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
You will be asked on the application to list everywhere you attended.

It has been some time since I applied for graduate study. I applied to around a dozen schools at one time or another. I remember being asked to provide all universities I attended at least a few times. I do not remember it being universal, but it could be that every school asked and I did not notice, because I never intended to leave anything off.

Are you asking for advice or for permission?

trivialsolution said:
I ask because every time I hear/read about transferring it seems like a bad idea unless the student has what is deemed an "acceptable" reason.
Well sure. Most ideas are bad if done for unacceptable reasons.

Transferring is one issue though. It sounds like you're asking whether you should purposefully misrepresent yourself when applying to new programs. Not only would that be fraudulent, it would put you at risk of being kicked out of any program you did get into.

If you're worried that you haven't done well in your current program and are looking for some kind of a "reset," while not ideal, that can still happen. Be upfront about it. Anyone can have a bad semester. If that bad semester is the result of circumstances beyond your control, admission committees are likely to take that into consideration. And if it was the result of circumstances within your control, well, you likely already know that the problems are likely to follow you to the next school anyway.

Related to Transfer programs and don't mention old one

1. What is a transfer program?

A transfer program is an academic program designed to help students transfer from one institution to another, usually from a community college to a four-year university. These programs typically involve a curriculum that aligns with the requirements of the four-year institution, making it easier for students to transition and continue their education.

2. What types of transfer programs are available?

There are various types of transfer programs, such as associate degree transfer programs, transfer agreements, and transfer-oriented majors. Some programs are designed for specific fields of study, while others are more general and can be applied to a variety of majors.

3. How does a transfer program differ from a traditional degree program?

A transfer program differs from a traditional degree program in that it is specifically designed to facilitate the transfer of credits and coursework to another institution. This means that the curriculum and requirements may be slightly different, and there may be additional support and resources available for transfer students.

4. Can I transfer to any university with a transfer program?

While transfer programs are designed to make the transfer process smoother, it is important to research and carefully select the institution you wish to transfer to. Some universities may have specific requirements or limitations for transfer students, so it is best to consult with an academic advisor before making a decision.

5. Are transfer programs only for community college students?

No, transfer programs are not exclusive to community college students. While these programs are often used by community college students, they can also be utilized by students from other institutions who are looking to transfer to a four-year university. It is important to check with the specific transfer program and institution to determine eligibility.