Transferring Question Regarding Major

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on whether to choose a different major when applying as a transfer student, as they have decided that physics is not the right major for them. They have a successful academic record in physics but do not want to go into detail about their decision to change majors. They are concerned about the impact on their chances of acceptance and scholarships. The conversation also discusses transfer credit policies at different schools. Ultimately, the individual decides to apply directly to their desired major and not go through the physics major as a middleman. The transfer credit policies vary but generally, courses can either count as credit for specific courses in a department, major elective credit, or general elective credit.
wifi
Hi,

I attended college for two years at a large state university. In my fifth semester, due to financial complications, mid-semester I was forced to return home and get a full-time job.

I'm looking to apply to another institution as a transfer student. I've earned mostly A's, took honors classes, and was a member of the honor society. For my freshman and sophomore years I was on the physics "track"; taking up to differential equations in math and up to (so-called) modern physics. However, after some thinking, I've decided physics isn't the right major for me.

Most of the transfer applications ask you to choose a major. So, since I'm no longer interested in pursuing physics, should I pick another major in which I'm interested? There are two potential problems that I see with this: 1. Lower my chance of acceptance 2. Lower the number of scholarships I may receive.

Anyone have any thoughts on / experience with this?

Thanks.

PS. I don't want to go into detail regarding why I'm not sticking with physics, even after all my success with it. This post isn't about that.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm basically asking if I should apply for the physics major, then change to something else, or cut the middleman out and apply directly to my desired major.

I highly doubt it will be an issue. Go ahead and apply for the major that you want. Clearly you've proven that you can succeed.

Transfer credit policies are probably different at different schools. For what it's worth, here's what we do. Department chairman evaluate individual courses for transfer credit, based on the official course description from the originating college's web site. They can choose:

• Credit for specific courses in their department. This applies regardless of the student's intended major. How applicable the credit is, depends on the student's major.
  • "Major elective credit": the student can apply these courses towards a major in that department, as part of their elective courses for that major. If he doesn't major in that department, he gets "general elective credit" as defined below.
  • "General elective credit": the student can apply these courses to the hours needed for graduation, regardless of their major; but they do not apply specifically towards a major in that department.

Thanks for the input; it means a lot. Anyone other opinions?

1. What is the process for transferring my major?

The process for transferring your major varies depending on your university's policies. Generally, you will need to meet with your academic advisor and fill out a form to officially request the transfer. You may also need to provide a personal statement or other supporting documents.

2. Can I transfer to any major I want?

It depends on the availability of spots in your desired major and your academic standing. Some majors may have limited space and require a certain GPA or specific prerequisites to be eligible for transfer. It's important to research the requirements for your desired major before making the decision to transfer.

3. Will transferring my major affect my graduation timeline?

In some cases, transferring your major may delay your graduation if you need to complete additional coursework for your new major. However, if you have already completed a significant amount of credits that can apply towards your new major, it may not have a major impact on your graduation timeline.

4. How long does the process of transferring a major usually take?

The timeline for transferring a major can vary, but it typically takes a few weeks to a semester. This can depend on factors such as the availability of spots in your desired major, the number of required courses you need to complete, and the timing of your request.

5. Can I transfer my major multiple times?

It is possible to transfer your major multiple times, but it is not recommended to do so frequently. Transferring majors can use up valuable time and resources, so it's important to carefully consider your decision and choose a major that aligns with your long-term goals.