Transistor base voltage calculation

In summary, In the first circuit, the base voltage Vb is 1.451 volts, which is close to the value given by Multisim. However, the calculation for the circuit on the right gives a result of 3.2 volts, which is different from the value given by Multisim. In the second circuit, the base voltage Vb is 3.228 volts, which is closer to the value given by Multisim. However, the calculation for the circuit on the left gives a result of 1.5 volts, which is different from the value given by Multisim. It is wrong to start the calculation with (Vcc-0.7)V. Something wrong? YES! It is wrong to start
marz
TL;DR Summary
I am using voltage divider to find base voltage of transistor. I am getting two different results in two different circuits.
Hello,
I am trying to find base voltage. In attached picture (using Multisim) there are two separate circuits. Here is how I am doing the voltage divider:
Circuit on right:
Vb = (Vcc - .7)*R6/(R6 + R5) = 3.2V which matches Multisim result. No problem here.
Circuit on left:
Vb = (Vcc - .7)*R1/(R1 + R2) = 1.99V. Multisim giving result = 1.5V. My question is why ?
I checked with another simulator, and got same results as Multisim.
Am I doing something wrong ?
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 368
Engineering news on Phys.org
What are the emitter voltages in the two circuits? :wink:

berkeman said:
What are the emitter voltages in the two circuits? :wink:

Emitter voltgaes:
The circuit on Right: Ve = 2.45V
The circuit on Left: Ve = .7V

In both cases, your calculation is not correct.
Why do you tink that the calculation for the circuit on the right would be in accordance with multisim?
Emitter voltage: Ve=2.45 V (according to your information)
Base voltage: Vb=Ve+0.7 (your value); Vb=3.15V.
However, your calculation gives 3.2V.
Something wrong? YES !
It is wrong to start the calculation with (Vcc-0.7)V.
I cannot see where this difference is coming from.
The only thing you know is that Ve=(Vb-0.7).

For a calculation as exact as possible you need the base current (resp. the factor B=Ic/Ib).
In case you have no further information, you must use a "good guess": B=100...200.

Solve the circuits by successive approximation. Each trial will bring it closer to the correct values.

You must allow for reduction in base voltage due to the base current flowing through the base bias circuit. The thevenin resistance of the base bias circuit is Rt. The simple divider voltage is Vt.

Beta is specified as 200A/A.
The base voltage of 0.7 volts is approximate. It could be computed.

What follows is a quick way of approximating the bias conditions.

For the first circuit it gives Vb = 1.451 volt, compare with model 1.5015 volt.
For the second circuit it gives Vb = 3.228 volt, compare with model 3.2324 volt.
Code:
' FreeBASIC
' first circuit
Dim As Double R1 = 220e3, R2 = 47e3, R3 = 510, R4 = 220, Rt
Dim As Double Vs = 12, Vt, beta = 200
Dim As Double Vb, Ve, Vc
Dim As Double Ie, Ib, Ic

Rt = 1 / ( 1 / R1 + 1 / R2 )    ' thevenin resistance of base bias circuit
Vt = Vs * R2 / ( R1 + R2 )      ' voltage on base due to divider
Vb = Vt
For trial As Integer = 1 To 100
    Ve = Vb - 0.7
    Ie = Ve / R4
    Ib = Ie / 200
    Vb = Vt - ( Ib * Rt )
Next trial
Vc = Vs - ( Ie * R3 )

Print Vb    '  1.451 volt
Print Vc    ' 10.259 volt, so not saturated

' second circuit

R1 = 50e3   ' new values, reuse the old names
R2 = 10e3
R3 = 3e3
R4 = 1e3

Vs = 20
beta = 200

Vt = Vs * R2 / ( R1 + R2 )      ' voltage on base due to divider
Rt = 1 / ( 1 / R1 + 1 / R2 )    ' thevenin resistance of base bias circuit
Vb = Vt
For trial As Integer = 1 To 20
    Ve = Vb - 0.7
    Ie = Ve / R4
    Ib = Ie / 200
    Vb = Vt - ( Ib * Rt )
Next trial
Vc = Vs - ( Ie * R3 )

Print Vb    '  3.228 volt
Print Vc    ' 12.416 volt, so not saturated

Baluncore said:
Solve the circuits by successive approximation. Each trial will bring it closer to the correct values.

OK, that´s possible - nevertheless, such a stepwise procedure is not necessary. Based on certain assumptions for B (e.g. 100 or 200) and Vbe (e.g. 0.7V) it is, of course, possible to analyze the circuit within one calculation step.

LvW said:
... it is, of course, possible to analyze the circuit within one calculation step.
I can see how a couple of simultaneous equations could solve it.
Can you write out a one step process ?

We can reduce the task simply to a system of two equations for two unknown quantities:
* Base voltage Vb=Vcc-I1R1=Vcc-R1(I2+Ib)=Vcc-[(Vb/R2)+Ib]R1
Emitter voltage Ve=IeR4=Ib(B+1)R4=(Vb-0.7V).

Now we have two equations for the unknown values Vb and Ib (with estimated values for B and Vbe)

Comment: As an alternative we could apply the superposition theorem. At first, we find the voltage at the base Vb1 caused by the supply voltage Vcc only (set Vbe=0) and - as a second step - we calculate the portion Vb2 caused by a voltage source of Vbe=0.7 volts (set Vcc=0).
Then we have Vb=Vb1+Vb2.

Last edited:
I hope to provide a more intuitive, concise and easy-to-understand derivation method for your reference.

Base Voltage 1.png

Likes DaveE and Baluncore
This would be a great case for substituting the "T" model for BJTs (the simplest DC model), as shown below. Then you follow what @alan123hk did above. It's also a good place to use superposition. The base voltage will be the sum of the 2 cases: Vb with Vbe=0, and Vb with Vcc=0, which allows you to use the simple voltage divider rule (twice).
img003 (2).jpg

1. What is a transistor base voltage?

A transistor base voltage is the voltage applied to the base terminal of a transistor, which controls the flow of current between the emitter and collector terminals. It is an important parameter in determining the behavior and performance of a transistor.

2. How is the transistor base voltage calculated?

The transistor base voltage can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage equals current multiplied by resistance. In this case, the base voltage is equal to the base current (IB) multiplied by the base resistance (RB).

3. What factors affect the transistor base voltage?

The transistor base voltage is affected by the input voltage, the base resistance, and the base current. Additionally, the type of transistor (NPN or PNP) and its operating conditions can also impact the base voltage.

4. Why is it important to calculate the transistor base voltage?

Calculating the transistor base voltage is important because it allows us to understand and control the behavior of the transistor. By adjusting the base voltage, we can control the amount of current flowing through the transistor, which is essential for proper functioning of electronic circuits.

5. How does the transistor base voltage affect the amplification of a signal?

The transistor base voltage plays a crucial role in signal amplification. By increasing or decreasing the base voltage, we can control the amount of current flowing through the transistor, which in turn affects the amplification of the input signal. This allows us to amplify weak signals and produce a larger output signal.