Transition matrix between two bases?

In summary, you use the augmented matrix:A = [T|I]and do elementary row operations until you get:B = [I|T^{-1}]Where I is the identity matrix. Does that help?Yes, that does help.
concon

Homework Statement

Let So = {v1,v2,v3,v4} be basis of vector space V.
And S = {u1,u2,u3,u4} be set of vectors defined as follows:
u1 = 20v1 + 46v2 + 116v3 + 170v4
u2 = 20v1 + 86v2 + 147v3 + 174v4
u3 = 30v1 + 89v2 + 59v3 + 81v4
u4 = 15v1 + 27v2 + 12v3 + 9v4

Find transition matrix A from So to S which is transition matrix from S coordinates to So coordinates.

Homework Equations

I know how to find transition matrix, it's hard to explain put you want to but one basis down and the other basis next to it and turn one into identity matrix.

The Attempt at a Solution

So first off we know that S is a basis of vector space V since it just scalar multiples of So.

I have calculated transition for small basis like {(1,2),(2,1)} but am unsure how to set up for this problem

If someone can set it up for me or give advice on what to do I can solve it. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're given [itex]S=\vec{u}[/itex] in terms of the basis [itex]S_0=\vec{v}[/itex]. Or:

[itex]
\begin{pmatrix}u_1\\u_2\\u_3\\u_4\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}20 && 46 && 116 && 170\\20 && 86 && 147 && 174\\30 && 89 && 59 && 81\\15 && 27 && 12 && 9\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}v_1\\v_2\\v_3\\v_4\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

Which can be written more compactly:

[itex]
\vec{u}=T\vec{v}
[/itex]

Where [itex]T[/itex] is the transition matrix from [itex]S_0[/itex] coordinates to [itex]S[/itex] coordinates. I hope this helps!

electricspit said:
You're given [itex]S=\vec{u}[/itex] in terms of the basis [itex]S_0=\vec{v}[/itex]. Or:

[itex]
\begin{pmatrix}u_1\\u_2\\u_3\\u_4\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}20 && 46 && 116 && 170\\20 && 86 && 147 && 174\\30 && 89 && 59 && 81\\15 && 27 && 12 && 9\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}v_1\\v_2\\v_3\\v_4\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

Which can be written more compactly:

[itex]
\vec{u}=T\vec{v}
[/itex]

Where [itex]T[/itex] is the transition matrix from [itex]S_0[/itex] coordinates to [itex]S[/itex] coordinates. I hope this helps!
Okay so then I should take inverse of the T to find transition matrix?

Yes. You should be able to use:

[itex]
\vec{u}=T\vec{v}
[/itex]

To show that. It should take 1 line.

electricspit said:
Yes. You should be able to use:

[itex]
\vec{u}=T\vec{v}
[/itex]

To show that. It should take 1 line.
i just did thst, but apparently my answer was wrong. can you explain exactly the process? Do I use the numbers in the exact order you set up?

Make the augmented matrix:

[itex]
A = [T|I]
[/itex]

and do elementary row operations until you get:

[itex]
B = [I|T^{-1}]
[/itex]

Where [itex]I[/itex] is the identity matrix. Does that help?

Last edited:

What is a transition matrix between two bases?

A transition matrix between two bases is a square matrix that represents the linear transformation between two vector spaces. It maps the coordinates of a vector from one basis to another, allowing for calculations and transformations between different bases.

How is a transition matrix calculated?

To calculate a transition matrix, we first need to determine the basis vectors of the two bases in question. Then, we construct a matrix with the columns representing the coordinates of the basis vectors of the first basis in terms of the basis vectors of the second basis. This matrix is the transition matrix.

Why is a transition matrix important?

A transition matrix is important because it allows us to perform calculations and transformations between different bases. It also helps us understand the relationship between different bases and how vectors are represented in these bases.

Can a transition matrix be non-square?

No, a transition matrix must be square as it represents a linear transformation between two vector spaces, which have the same dimension. Therefore, the number of rows and columns in a transition matrix must be equal.

How is a transition matrix used in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, a transition matrix is used to change the basis of a vector or a set of vectors. It can also be used to solve systems of linear equations, find eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and perform other calculations involving vector spaces and linear transformations.